RoR is TOO SLOW

I’ve reported this several times to DH support, and they keep telling me to check out what the guy from convergantarts has to say about it, and it’s getting frustrating:

RoR IS TOO SLOW TO START ON DH.

It’s that simple. FCGI takes too long to start processes. Look at other hosts who run RoR, it’s SIGNIFICANTLY faster to load the first time.

I do not have ANY errors in my site–my logs are completely clean. But FCGI crashes frequently and we’re talking about nearly 15 FULL SECONDS to load the first time.

This is not acceptable!

The first startup time for a FastCGI application is very close to exactly the same as the time to run the same application as a basic CGI. If you are seeing long startup times for an application, it might be a sign that the access to the database is slow (as it was for a couple of days following Monday’s power outage) or the server your site is on has an abnormally high load.

The interaction of Ruby on Rails and FastCGI is a different issue and is being actively worked on by the Ruby on Rails developers. The next release of Rails will include a much improved FastCGI interface. Some people have also had some success using the newer version of that code along with the current version of the Rails framework.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder