"roll your own" php5 on Private Server

Hi, I’ve upgraded to a private server for a website with Drupal and CiviCRM (and CiviMail) installed, in which I’ve had php5 installed (in order to run CiviMail with specific requirements for php modules installed that the stock php in dreamhost does not have installed).

Since moving to a Private Server my version of PHP5 seems to have broken, returning ‘Server Error 500’ internal errors, unless I comment out the pointers to php5 in the .htaccess file in the root of the site:

AddHandler phpFive .php

Action phpFive /home/cgi-bin/php.cgi

I realize there is alot of troubleshooting to do with this - becuase it involves me upgrading Drupal from 5.1 to 5.5, and an install of CiviCRM/CiviMail - and the move to Private Server.

So, I ask, generally - is there anything I should be aware of when moving to a private server - do absolute paths change?

best,

Barry

I been having troubles even installing PHP5.2.3 for the first time on a PS. JJ from Support tells me there is issues with doing that on PS and said he will look at my scripts. So maybe that has something to do with it. I’m using the alternate php install scripts from the wiki. Mine just fails on building c-client or cURL.
http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=97975&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=

Darrell
Web Developer
On-Site Computer Solutions