Rmagick err: can't convert Magick::GravityType into Integer

software development

Hi, I have a problem with the installed rmagick on my dreamhost account.

When I do this I get my versions:

This is RMagick 1.6.0 ($Date: 2004/08/18 23:22:36 $) Copyright © 2004 by Timothy P. Hunter
Built with ImageMagick 6.0.6 11/15/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Built for ruby 1.8.2 (2004-08-24) [i386-linux]

When I upload an image and try to resize it with rmagick, I get this error from rails (using the file_column plugin):

can’t convert Magick::GravityType into Integer

your help is much appreciated!

I suspect the problem you’re seeing is related to the fact that the old RMagick currently installed on DreamHost expects different arguments than the current RMagick for the same methods…I had a somewhat similar problem when I tried using the installed version.

Hmm. I got it. Unfortuantely I am having problems while installing the new version of Rmagick on my dreamhost account. I basically do this but it gives the error below.

[quote]gem install rmagick

Attempting local installation of 'rmagick’
Local gem file not found: rmagick*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rmagick’
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Building native extensions. This could take a while…
configure: error: Can’t install RMagick. Can’t find Magick-config or GraphicsMagick-config program.
ERROR: While executing gem … (RuntimeError)
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
Gem files will remain installed in /my/dir/to/home/gems/gems/rmagick-1.14.1 for inspection.
ruby gem_extconf.rb install rmagick\n
sh configure

Configuring RMagick 1.14.1
checking for gcc… gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name… a.out
checking whether the C compiler works… yes
checking whether we are cross compiling… no
checking for suffix of executables…
checking for suffix of object files… o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler… yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g… yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C… none needed
checking for ruby… /usr/bin/ruby
checking for Magick-config… no
checking for GraphicsMagick-config… no
RMagick configuration failed with status 1.

then it hangs here…

I had a lot of trouble with this too, because it turns out dreamhost imposes a total memory limitation of something like 200MB on all your processes…your build processes may have been getting killed off as a result. I only barely managed to get the install to succeed by killing all other processes first, and even then I had to try the installation procedure multiple times before a build barely managed to squeak by. :frowning:

when i do

I see multiple dispatch.fcgi processes. you mean killing some of them and then doing > gem install rmagick ? but isn’t it also mean shutting down some live services?

Yup, those’d be the ones to kill. Not sure how you’re gonna do it if you need to keep your site up in the meantime, though.