Rewards question

Feel free to give me the referral, I’ll be happy to paypal ya $35 of it when it gets credited. (Im on $65/$5 not 10%)

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting

I referred someone, who, for some reason, either by cookie or by someone else randomly claiming to have referred them, gave their referral to someone else. (Sorry if that was confusing… reread it 3 times or so and you’ll get it.)

I emailed DH about it, and they asked me to have my friend send them an email saying I was the one who referred them, and not the other person. Then they gave me the referral bonus.

Jonathan

[quote]That is why I find it very important to sit with my clients in their office, or in mine,
and help them purchase the site. Then I can see if there is another webid
when I click purchase…

[/quote]

Please do explain for my education: where do you see if there’s another web id?

I check their cookies for dreamhost.com referrer and a session id. Then I just delete them.

Aha, thanks. Does this mean that if you didn’t do that, you’d not see any indication during the sign-up that the logged referrer will be the cookied one? And would the cookied one override the sign-up’s “Where did you first hear about us?” answer?

I do believe that cookies do have precedence over who you type in the ‘who referred you’ area. Good question for the DH Gurus though.

I think the one time I almost lost a referral, I had put my web id in the who referred you, but someone else had gotten the referral because my client started clicking on names in the forum. I had to email Dreamhost from the email I had used when I signed the client up. At least it was one of my emails and I didn’t have to bother my client to email. Geez, don’t know what I would have said… : )

[quote]I do believe that cookies do have precedence over who
you type in the ‘who referred you’ area.

[/quote]

If silently, then that’s poor, since it by implication deceives the sign-upper.

[quote]Good question for the DH Gurus though.

[/quote]

I await with interest!

[quote]someone else had gotten the referral because my client
started clicking on names in the forum.

[/quote]

Can you tell me how this could have set a referrer cookie?

[quote]> someone else had gotten the referral because my client

[quote]started clicking on names in the forum.

[/quote]

Can you tell me how this could have set a referrer cookie?[/quote]

Some forum users have posted their referral links in their signatures and/or forum profiles.

MacManX.com

Surely just clicking on “names in the forum” would not activate those?

Yes, they would and do! I have even done it! : )

barbara

I cannot see how just viewing someones sig containing a link could activate the link hence set the referrer cookie.

[quote]Some forum users have posted their referral links in their signatures and/or forum profiles.

[/quote]

I honestly don’t think it’s a good idea to actually SHOWS the “/rewards.cgi?WebID” string. :smiley:

GungHost.com :: DreamServers.net :: DreamRegistrar.com