Rewards: $97 versus 10%

Hi all!
The “$97 once” reward option is straight-forward. But what happens if choose the “10% forever” reward option and still offer a promo rebate? Who then pays the rebate to the new customer?

What if I offer a $97 rebate and choose the “10% forever” option – the customer gets maximum rebate and I’m none the worse for it?
Is that what some people figured out already - those that already give away the entire $97?

[color=#CC0000]Get $50 off[/color] with promo code “LESS”! See here what else you get!

My reading of the Reward page in the panel is that it is an “either/or” arrangement.

[quote]How Much do I Earn?

You decide! Either get 10% forever of everything your referrals (plus 5% for people they refer!) spend on hosting with us, or choose to just get a $97 one-time payment (plus $5 for sub-referrals!) per referral![/quote]
(I added the bolding for emphasis) Below that text is a description of the “method” you have chosen, and a submit button to change form one to the other.

–rlparker

My question was not directly about “my share” but more about the rebate offered to the new customer. Is this a loophole/flaw in DH’s rewards program?

Makes sense:
I’m on the $97 option. DH rewards me once with $97 per referral. I can choose to give some of that as a promo rebate.

Doesn’t make sense:
I’m on the 10% option and offer $97 rebate. DH must pay the $97 rebate, and still give me 10% every month?!

[color=#CC0000]Get $50 off[/color] with promo code “LESS”! See here what else you get!

I understand now, sorry about that! One would think that a “promo” code would only be relevant in the context of the referrer having selected the “one time $97” option. (If you have chosen the “10% forever” option, you should have no $97 to pass on as a rebate.)

Edited because I had a brain fart and wrote something stupid :open_mouth: please see below, from the Dreamhost Panel->Rewards page:

Create your own Promo Codes!

Now you can make your own DreamHost promo codes that new customers can use to get a one-time discount while signing up! Anybody who uses YOUR promo code when signing up automatically gets their referrer set as you (above all else).

The only downside is whatever discount you give them comes out of your $97 one-time rewards payment (anybody who uses a promo code will be set as a one-time rewards, not recurring). But hey, that’s only fair! It’s basically a way for you to share some of your rewards with the people you’re referring.

bolding is mine-rlp

–rlparker

[quote]Doesn’t make sense:
I’m on the 10% option and offer $97 rebate. DH must pay the $97 rebate, and still give me 10% every month?![/quote]
You’re right, it doesn’t make sense But I guess we are both just a little “blind” today. :wink:
After reviewing, again, the Rewards page on the panel, under the "Create your own Promo Codes " box near the bottom of the page, I find:

Explanation found! If you set up a Promo code, you will be automagically changed to “one-time” ($97) vs “recurring” (1%).

I feel pretty stupid right now.

–rlparker

The only percentage I think you can get with promo codes would be the 5% secondary referrals, if you refer someone that chooses the 10% option, then they refer someone.

I didn’t even know that until recently when I logged in and saw .49 on the end of the referral balance… couldn’t figure out where that came from at first.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Thanks, you found the small print :slight_smile: That explains it – but there’s still a loophole:

Set up a promo code (and become automatically moved to the $97 option if you’re not already there) and then choose the 10% option. This is actually possible, I just did that.

So … am I now really on the $97 plan even though it clearly says I’m on 10%? I think i am on 10% but my “LESS” promo code has not been deactivated - it’s still active.

I read you loud and clear. I wondered about that also (though I I didn’t go so far as to “try” it :wink: ).

Short of writing to tech support for clarification, I suspect the only way to find out for sure whether or not it is a “loophole”, and how it will really work, is to wait and monitor the rewards panel over time. Once a Promo Code get’s used, and credited, you should be able to track via the rewards page whether or not the % also is accrued, eh? :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Even though it says the promo-code is active in the panel, I wonder if it actually is active now that you are on 10% recurring.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I did actually now submit a support ticket about this. I don’t want to be thrown out for doing something wrong, but it’s also not clear if I am doing anything wrong.
I’ll try to remember to post back here (and perhaps even update the wiki) with an update later.

I’ve received a reply from Support, and it’s clear enough. There are three ways to refer others:

A) the rewards.cgi script
If somebody clicks such a rewards link, they get a cookie. If they already have a cookie, the older cookie wins. If they then sign up (and don’t enter any referral info), then I get the reward such as I have chosen: either 10% forever or $97 once.

B) User enters my email address as referral
This overrides option A.
If somebody signs up and enter my account’s primary email address, then I get the reward such as I have chosen: either 10% forever or $97 once.

C) promo code
This overrides options A and B.
If somebody signs up and enter my promo code, then I get the $97 once, minus any rebate that is given to the new user. No “10% forever” is given when a promo code is used.

I am going to publish this in the wiki.

Ahh… that’s what you meant. I took it like you were asking if you got your payout for the promo-code, could you then switch back to 10% and collect on that same person.

Too bad they don’t offer custom settings. :wink: I’d set Strictly Business 10% and the rest to $97 for when a promo code isn’t used.

I just go with the $97 based on the “I could get run over by a bus tomorrow” accounting method. Then again, if I switched to 10%, that might encourage me to start looking both ways before crossing the street. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).

I did some thinking on the rewards system when I first signed up, and it became clear as soon as I read that promo code referrals were set to one-time referrals automatically.

Any promo code referrals are automatically set as one-time referrals only, regardless of what you have chosen in the panel – promo codes are independent from those options; setting up a promo code doesn’t change what you’ve chosen in the panel. I see why one could possibly see it as a loophole if they didn’t understand that. Even if you have chosen 10%, anyone using your promo code becomes a one-time referral.

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color] – zaps the monthly plans too!

But where i earn if i have a promo code with 97$ discount ?

You don’t… if they sign up for a yearly plan. If they sign up for a monthly plan, you’d get the difference between the max discount allowed and $97.

If they refer people, you would get a $5 secondary referral.

If you want $97, you can just use the referral link in your control panel… but if anyone that clicks that links finds a promo code that will save them money, it will override your referral and the person with the promo code gets the credit.