Restricting Directory Access

I am trying to find a way to avert (or minimize) a users ability to simply copy & paste the path gotten through “Save Source” to gain access to streaming media content that I am trying to restrict access to.

Beginning to believe that the web is just “open” like that and there is no real way to secure media on the Quicktime Streaming Server.

Thanks in advance.

Create a file (or amend the following if it already exists) in your main directory called “.htaccess” and add this to it:

IndexIgnore *
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www.)?mydomain.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .(gif|jpg|js|css)$ - [F]

Replace gif, jpg, etc with file types, and mydomain.com with your domain. That should restrict access to the files.

I think this should work. If not, I’m dumb, and you should undo those changes to the .htaccess file.

Thanks; I will ask my web developer to try this.

What my issue is… I have Quicktime streams. But there is nothing stopping someone to either (1) save a 4kb link to the media, bypassing the login/password system I created to access the clips in the first place or (2) the infamous look at the source and paste the url into your browser, going straight to the media.

I am not a web developer so we are both at out wits end! And I am a bit nervous that this whole business model may not be viable without a more costly solution.

Once again, thanks for your help. I hope this works!

-Aaron

I don’t know if works with streaming QT but you have an option to block a movie from being saved. You have to do that when creating it.

Save $96 dollars when you sign up! -> 96DISCOUNT :wink: