Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects

vps

Can anyone give me an easy-to-understand explanation of exactly what this means

Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary

Why is it redirecting. I think it might be due to something in .htacess but I would like to understand the whole redirect thing better.

Here is an example
[Wed Mar 26 14:05:49 2014] [error] [client 216.52.242.14] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace.

That address is a LinkedIn addy

This error typically means you have a rewrite rule that is rewriting requests to a URL that it itself matches. You’ll need to show us your .htaccess to diagnose this.

infinite loop

Am I allowed to post my htaccess here - I am going to try. I have been looking at it and looking up things but can’t figure it out. I am not getting a ton but I am getting them everyday from Twitter and LinkedIn and a few others. I am using X-Cache, Bulletproof security, Page speed, Cloudflare, W3 Total Cache and Wordpress SEO.

Thanks for the help.

Here’s my access file posted in backticks
<removed per user request — Andrew F>

Not sure if this is your issue… but do you really need this?

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

IMO this is better:

DirectoryIndex index.php

It’s funny because I was looking at it and found a few alternatives but I was unsure what to so so just replace it just like that with nothing else symbols or anything.

Yes, just that one line. Put it at the top, above the other rules.

It does the same thing as your rewrite rule, but without the redirect. It makes index.php the default page when someone follows domain.com instead of domain.com/index.php, or when someone follows an internal link that just says “/”.

Thanks I made the change. Also the guy from Bulletproof security said there might be a conflict with their logs so I am tweaking that too. I still had two errors this morning so it looks like it has substantially improved.

Moderator please delete my HT access from above. Someone who is not helpful is trying to use this information for bad purposes. Thanks

For what it’s worth, there wasn’t anything particularly sensitive in there, but I’ve removed that section of your post as you requested.

As far as your issue goes, I’d recommend temporarily disabling Bulletproof Security and regenerating your .htaccess file. There was a lot of stuff in there, and it’s hard to say if it’s all correct.

Thanks