Request Dreamhost please add "jq", a lightweight and flexible command-line JSON processor to shared webserver packages

Consider this a request to add “jq” as a new one-click package or make part of the default installed packages for the default shared webserver configurations.

For details on jq, see https://stedolan.github.io/jq/

jq is like sed for JSON data - you can use it to slice and filter and map and transform structured data with the same ease that sed, awk, grep and friends let you play with text.

jq is written in portable C, and it has zero runtime dependencies. You can download a single binary, scp it to a far away machine of the same type, and expect it to work. Or “sudo apt install jq”.

jq can mangle the data format that you have into the one that you want with very little effort, and the program to do so is often shorter and simpler than you’d expect.

jq is now being used in the examples Autodesk has provided for their new Forge API cloud services release. These web services are used to create, edit, or view 2D and 3D models.

Whether jq is installed by a one click install or supported in the base webserver, it would be equally valuable.

I thoroughly approve of this. jq is a great tool for manipulating JSON data, which is super common in web development. I use it all the time on my home machine and wish DH servers had it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.