Reports for memory usage for Private Server?

wordpress

Hi,

I recently switched my shared account to a PS, but I´m having out of memory problems.

Does anybody know of a way of logging the the PS memory usage?

I have daily peaks in my account (it doesn´t seem to be access peaks) which would make maintaing this account really expensive. I´m guessing I will have to go back to shared…

Use promo code US97OFF to get maximum discounts!
Use o código de promoção US97OFF para descontos de até US97!

What are you looking for beyond the charts you get on the panel at “Private Servers>CPU / Memory”?

Extra lifetime domain and $82 off with code [color=#CC0000]1DOM82[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Other Dreamhost coupon codes

There’s a script called VPSInfo that might do what you want. It’s not too difficult to install/configure and the information provided is geared towards VPS’s (as the name suggests).

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Shocking use of an apostrophe, Mousee!

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

At first I was looking at something that would log those charts, but then I remembered somebody here in the forums talking about a script that would dynamically change de allocated resources according to use, that would be awesome!

I must search for that message.

Decio.

[quote]At first I was looking at something that would log those charts, but then I remembered somebody here in the forums talking about a script that would dynamically change de allocated resources according to use, that would be awesome!

I must search for that message.[/quote]
I think that was actually a thread where Michael from Dreamhost chimed in to say that dynamically changing your resources wasn’t a great thing to do.

Analyzing memory usage is a complicated endeavor in many cases because there are many cases where it looks like a program is taking up a lot of memory but a lot of that memory usage is actually shared with other programs using the same DLLs. This is particularly true when you have multiple instances of the same script running, like on a web server.

Are you running standard web applications or are you running some custom coded stuff?

Extra lifetime domain and $82 off with code [color=#CC0000]1DOM82[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Other Dreamhost coupon codes

I’ve actually been wondering whether Nagios would run on a PS server.

yah yah yah… It’s been a long week :stuck_out_tongue:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

With my luck it would use my entire quota of cpu and memory.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

I have only one site which is custom, but very little php, and it has a very low visit rate, no more than 200 a day, averaging less than a 100.

I have one wordpress blog, but all standard and with cache Then a tiny joomla site (gets no more than a couple of hits a day) and 2 galleries (with very little attendance also and no users beside me).

I guess I need to move some sites to another account and see why my memory usage varies so much, but it seems quite a hassle.

Decio.

I had the same “problem” as the current CPU/Memory graph wasnt enough for myself either.

I’m working on a few scripts and graphs to be able to have some resources monitoring on my own PS also, so as soon I finish on 'em I could send to you.

You can take a look at the current working status (sometimes wont be availabe as I’m coding 'em):

http://dreamhostpstools.com/mon/graphs.cgi
http://dreamhostpstools.com/my-ps-status/

Best regards.

Antonio.

this is pretty freaking awesome.

although I notice you’re not using wp-cache (wp-cache adds a couple of comments at the bottom of every page) which might save you some money right there :wink:

I’ll work on some sort of API to make it easier to adjust your vps settings as well, so you don’t have to rely on us never changing the panel (it happens!)

err. wp-cache does more than just add a couple of comments to each page, but that’s how I knew you weren’t using it, because they aren’t there :slight_smile:

Hehehe thanks… the truth it’s I was using wp-cache 15 min before submitting my post, but when I was tried to verify the link (my-ps-status one), I saw a crappy error about wp-cache files and showing all my absolute filesystem path.

So instead of researching what was going on, I prefered to switch off meanwhile…

But thanks for the tip, I’ll enable it again tonight (GMT+1) and take a look at the error, if it happens again :slight_smile:

Some API would be damn good :smiley: to avoid panel rewrites :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

By the way, I have another Wordpress blog, and wanted to see those comments written by wp-cache… and I found the same error:

Couldn’t write to: /home/.tonka/xxxxx/blog.manzanasfrescas.com/wp-content/cache/wp-cache-c1ab6f47775fe09cb35c3eec0d639b29.html
Warning: fopen(/home/.tonka/xxxxxx/blog.manzanasfrescas.com/wp-content/cache/wp-cache-c1ab6f47775fe09cb35c3eec0d639b29.meta) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No space left on device in /home/.tonka/xxxxxxx/blog.manzanasfrescas.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 240

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/.tonka/xxxxxx/blog.manzanasfrescas.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 241

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/.tonka/xxxxx/blog.manzanasfrescas.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 242

Reloading the page it worked properly… but those are not really nice error messages, and what about that “No space left on device in…”? :wink:

I suppose that’s not the main issue, tho it looks it’s at 100%

10.176.0.29:/vol/boot/janky/tonka
9.1T 9.1T 31G 100% /home/.tonka

Also I’ve not been able to see those wp-cache marks at my blog at blog.manzanasfrescas.com, where are 'em?

Best regards,

Antonio.