Reporting Spam?

Greetings all,

I am getting email from @.com and it’s bugging me. Is there an address we can report violators to for blocking?

This is actually for my Mom’s website, which I host. She is always getting emails from her own domain and keeps asking me about what to do. I don’t mind it, but she would like to have a cop to report it to like spam@dreamhost.com or whatever…

Thanks in advance, ~RB

Spam from your own domain doesn’t actually come from your own domain. We’ve seen this mentioned earlier here in the forums, and the brief explanation is that when DH mail servers receive a spam without a domain then the own domain is listed. This is not intentional; it’s just the way mail servers work.

So don’t worry that all that spam is coming from your own domain. It really isn’t.

You should also turn on the Junk Mail filter for that domain. That will filter much of the spam away, though there are a few things to be aware of:

1. the aggressiveness of the filter can/must be set to your (mom’s) preferences. Use the DH webmail to get into the Junk Mail configuration.
  2. if set too aggressive, the filter may also catch legitimate mail. This will not be deleted right away. It’s put in quarantine in the webmail’s Junk Mail folder. You need to check that folder with regular intervals to make sure you’re not missing mail, and possibly adjust the filter aggressiveness if you’re not happy with the ham/spam ratio.
  3. the Junk Mail can only be accessed through DH webmail, not other mail programs. If you’re/your mom is using webmail anyway, then this is fine. Otherwise you need to make a habit of checking there, too.

[color=#CC0000]Get $50 off[/color] with promo code “LESS”! See here what else you get!

I don’t know if this will help, but one of the suggestions when you set up accounts for your domain is to NOT use the catch-all option, as this makes any email sent to the domain that isn’t an actual email address that’s been set up to go to the catch-all account.

Jen
http://www.SassyDevil.com/

spam that appears to come from you is called joe-jobbing. It happens to the best of us. It will move on. Nothing you can do.

What plan is best for you?Compare from this list and select the best plan