I've been playing with Remix today and these are my observations (in no particular order):
1) The editor constantly resets, like it’s saving behind and loses my place. I will make a change and then a second later the change will revert (and the cursor disappears). Very annoying.
2) I tried using one of the templates, which had “chords” called “Business Left” and “Business Right” but there appears to be no way to add a new chord like that as searching for either of those names (after pressing “New” on a chord) produces no results. There is no “duplicate this chord” or something.
3) Re-ordering sucks. You grab the little re-order handle, but if you can’t see the top of the previous cord, you can’t scroll (while it is dragging the mouse wheel and arrows don’t allow you to scroll so that the drop location is in view). There needs to be some kind of “outline view” that shows the page with the chords (with maybe a thumbnail showing what’s on that chord) so that you can drag-n-drop easily.
4) It won’t let you link to https resources. For some reason, it doesn’t want to let me control where my links are going.
5) It seems like the edit assumes my whole web site will be just the one page. There is no way to link to another page (even though the editor let me add a page, I can’t tell it to exist as a sub-page on the web site so that I can link to it). I guess the only way I could do this is to create multiple sub-domains, one for each page. It’s a pretty simple web site that has only one page and nothing else.
6) Since it assumes the whole site will be one page, I looked for a “chord” that had either multiple segments, with left and right scroll buttons, or maybe a tabbed interface, etc. into which I could put content that I might have previously put on their own child page. This would require supporting sub-chords?
7) Apparently, the template I used (Startup) has these button-like text boxes on the page, they aren’t “links” and I see no way to change them to be. I looked at other pages that have actual link items on them and it appears to allow me to connect to any other URL. However, even those don’t allow me to link to other logical pages in my page list (that’s not one of the types). So, I still don’t understand how to do a multiple page site.
8) I would really like to be able to save “chords” individually, so that I could put them on a page or remove them from a page (or hide them on a page, or specify the date they should appear and disappear). It would be great, then, if I could create a new chord that would be on the page multiple times (for example, a chord could be a simple, wide, image and I could then insert that chord between other sections on the page). But mainly, I might want to only have a chord on the web site for a certain period of time (say for the Christmas season) and remove it from the page the rest of the year (without having to find the right chord and make it look the same, which is the only option currently).
9) What is the point of “options”? It brings up some HTML, but I can’t edit it. What’s the point of even showing me that HTML if I can’t modify it? That’s not options, it’s just a tease.
10) You guys seem to be using competing terms for items on the page. I see them called “chords” in some places (most notably in the style class names shown in “options”) but when I look at “options” it calls them “Component Options” (personally, I like the term “component” better as a “chord” makes no sense to me as a web developer).
11) When I go into Manage Content and look at Markdown, it shows me 171 items, but they are all identical (or at least they are all marked “Scott Gartner’s Resume” and appear to be identical (but maybe they are different versions of the resume markdown created as I edited it). If these are versions of markdown on that one page, then it’s absolutely impossible to tell which one is currently being used (or, really, if any are being used and by what page). I’m not sure what the point of even listing these are since there is nowhere I can find where I can select an existing “markdown” content item.
12) I tried the “import a website” feature and it did exactly nothing except say it was successful. I tried importing my old site http://www.pingbot.com/. I tried giving it several pages (simple and complex) from my web site and it never imported anything at all.
13) 13) I created a sub-domain hours ago, to store my test with Remixer, then I went into Remixer and told it to publish the “site” (actually page) to the new sub-domain (http://beta.pingbot.com/) and it still has never published. It did change the sub-domain from “Fully Hosted” to Remixer. I’ve published a dozen times; no errors are reported. The "publish" button does become "view" and is pointing to my test domain name. I’ll check again tomorrow to see if it eventually publishes.