Reliability, bad reviews, and stuff

Yeah it does seem like that, doesn’t it…

Reading abuse.dreamhost.com, it seems like they first notify you about anything that infringes copyright.

But hopefully, I never run into the problem. The only thing I might do is put lyrics up (which would have the author/band and the title). (Is that bad?) And maybe some chords/tabs (again with author/band with title) (Is this bad?) Or if I give free hosting to some friends, there might be a torrent file, not the contents of the torrent, but the file. But I don’t plan on putting those up myself. Just a possibility. But of course, I can give them an “English” version of a ToS or something… Or the one with all the legal jargon. Which would be incredibly fun.

Also… is hosting apps (ones that I make or open source) bad? (like… not “playing nice” or any other definition)

I suspect that in many cases, you are correct, but I would not rely on that. I can easily see circumstance (and, in fact others have reported such things) where they immediately take a site offline.

Well, whether it is “bad” or not is a matter of opinion (kinda has a lot to do with how you feel about copyright law), but lyrics are generally copyrighted, so unless you can defend a “fair use” (in the legal sense, not the “fairness” sense) you may run into problems with collections of lyrics.

As for “tabs”, those you create yourself shouldn’t be a problem, but if you get them from someone else you always run the risk of a copyright violation.

Giving free hosting to your friends is always a risk; only you can evaluate how risky it is based on your trust in your friend and your correct evaluation of their expertise in such matters. Torrents can get you in trouble at Dreamhost, but that is something best discussed in specirfic with DreamHost.

“Hosting” apps that you write, or open source apps, should not be a problem as long as the traffic to the site/download activity does not place to large a burden on the server. Many “apps” are hosted at Dreamhost without problem.

Of course, for “open source” stuff, there are many excellent free homes for hosting (Sourceforge, FreshMeat, etc.).

–rlparker

Lyrics are usually copyrighted. If you’re putting a song’s lyrics up in their entirety, be cautious. Be more than cautious.

If your use here falls under fair use, then you should be safe. You should study up to make sure that your usage qualifies.

Did you read my post about how this gets people in trouble. If any your friends violates the ToS, you will be held accountable as if you had violated the ToS. If you do this, make sure that these are either very good friends (in which case you trust them not to harm you) or very bad friends (in which case you can just shun them afterwards).

Linking to infringing content is also illegal according to current interpretation of the DMCA.

Unfortunately, this won’t help you. If it’s done under your account, you’re going to get in trouble for it.

If they are either well-written or infrequently used, this should be ok. If you have a resource hungry app that gets used a lot, it could cause problems for your neighbors - and ultimately for you.

Sorry to disappoint, as there are a lot of warnings in this post. I just don’t want you to get into trouble unaware of the potential consequences.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Just make sure they understand the rules and that they’ll get you in trouble if they break them. I’d only give the space away based on their level of responsibility and not just to anyone with the title “friend” or “family member.”

I don’t have anyone hosted on my account that I wouldn’t trust with keys to my car or home. So far, my account hasn’t been canceled, my home hasn’t been trashed and my car hasn’t been flipped… so it seems to be working. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can still help out the ones you don’t trust on your account by giving them a $97 promo code so they can start their own.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Oh, and remember that your friendship doesn’t grant intelligence or good judgment. That is, just because they’re you’re friends and they don’t want your account to be canceled means that they have the knowledge and good judgment to ensure that they don’t inadvertently get your account canceled.

This is like giving your friends the keys to your uninsured car.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Ofline? Or complete termination of my account and/or deletion of all data?

You’re getting me really nervous now… And I won’t have a collection, but I might have some random ones for a post or something. Nothing like… lyrics.com or something. (By the way… what gives them (and other sites) the right to have the lyrics listed?)

I think I’ll choose the good friends choice. Good enough for me to yell at them if something goes wrong but still be good with each other afterwards. (Though hopefully (and probably), that won’t need to happen)

[quote]Oh, and remember that your friendship doesn’t grant intelligence or good judgment. That is, just because they’re you’re friends and they don’t want your account to be canceled means that they have the knowledge and good judgment to ensure that they don’t inadvertently get your account canceled.

This is like giving your friends the keys to your uninsured car.[/quote]
Yeah, I’ll make sure that they understand everything about this… Should be fine…

Yeah… Thanks for all the warnings though… I appreciate it.

I think that answers everything. Now I just need a domain name…

But after that… I need to figure out whose coupon to use…

But thanks, everybody. I highly appreciate all the help.

If you’re not planning on intentionally doing something wrong, you’re probably worrying too much.

It’s not a Dreamhost thing… all hosts, at least the ones based in the US, are going to have a problem with people that are breaking US laws on their servers.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Remember that there are three questions here:

1. What do you have the right to publish?
  2. What do you not have the right to publish, but will probably not get noticed?
  3. What is probably guaranteed to get noticed and is, in fact, so aggregious that you might get in trouble.

Here’s my interpretation of the answers:

1. If we’re talking about copyrighted lyrics, there is very little you can quote in publication. For educational, non-profit fair use, you can quote the lyrics of a copyrighted song as long as you quoted less than 250 words and your writeup of that song has twice as many words as the quoted material.
  2. This is the biggest gray area, but one where you’re mostly just going to have to take your chances. I don’t really know how forcefully the lyrics people enforce their copyright.
  3. A lyrics site would fall into this category.

Here’s an article I found that sheds some light on the situation.

Research is an important step towards making any decision. There are some unfortunate realities you must face when performing this research, especially while performing a “background check” on your next potential web host.

I think every product and service suffers from the following effect of reviews: The squeaky wheels get the grease.

How often do you find a product or service you really like and write about it? How many people do you know that just go online and write a rave review about something they like? I’d bet almost nobody. Sure, I like to give DreamHost a plug whenever and wherever I can, including in forums where I find a bad review of DreamHost. I haven’t written a great review of DreamHost and posted it on my site, but I am seriously considering it now. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, many of us will go to great length to make sure a company with a bad product or service loses business. The internet has become a great tool for exposing bad products and services. I had a TERRIBLE experience with a previous web host, and I made sure that review was posted on several sites. I went with that particular host in the beginning because of their standing on some “top hosts” sites. I later found out that the owner of the company owned those sites and several other web hosting companies. That was his way of driving business to his companies.

Good luck,
Chris

That’s… little. I like to occasionally post the whole text without anything else… But whatever…

Maybe I’ll be fine until something happens to them… But I’d rather not take a risk…

And thanks for the article.

I guess I’m kinda doing the researching now… I’ve done some previously, and unless all of you are support people hired by DH… I’m fine. People wouldn’t be here since 1998 if they weren’t. I hear 1and1 has some major problems with customer service… But I’ve subscribed to the DH blog for quite some time and they seem pretty open… for example, I read a post about a temporary downtime soon to come. And also all of you people are here.

Haha yeah I know what you mean. There are several sites saying how some hosting companies just completely suck.

I’m reading over this post (the one above/one I’m replying to) and I’m surprised at how badly organized it is… Whatever… I’m tired

Great. It is Helpful. :blush: :blush: :blush: