Reliability, bad reviews, and stuff (2)

[quote]Unfortunately DreamHost is experiencing a return of network problems similar to those we experienced yesterday. Please keep your eye on this post as we will update it as soon as we have more information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
UPDATE
The problem has been tracked down to a naughty switch and has been resolved. Due to the amount of traffic that dreamhoststatus.com is getting, we are leaving it static for the time being. If you are still experiencing problems, please contact support.

http://dreamhoststatus.com/[/quote]

[quote] In reply to:

“More customers will only slow down their servers and networks”

To me, that clearly presumes that DreamHost just adds more customers without increasing the number of servers deployed or adjusting their network for growth. The fact they they are still well regarded by many after growing to their present size leads me to believe that will not be the case. As I said before, I’ve seen “growing pains” come, and go, as DreamHost has grown, and I am confident that , “overselling or not”, DreamHost can, and will, add sufficient resources to handle their growth.

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=0&Board=curious&Number=87240[/quote]
Do they usually add sufficient resources after growing pains? If so, isn’t that insufficient?

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

In one day ?

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

meh … there is no indication at all that the last two days’ network problems are in any way related to the number of customers, or to growth … that post was just typical of the user who posted it. :wink:

–rlparker

[quote]UPDATE TO THE UPDATE -Thu Aug 16 16:38:09 PDT 2007-
Shortly after the last update, things went down hill again. It turns out the switch wasn’t the problem. For the time being, everything is back up and running and the problem appears to be fixed. Continue to check this space for updates and as always.
Thu Aug 16 16:51:46 PDT 2007
While the networking issues appear to be gone, we are still dealing with fallout from them. This includes a few non-responsive caching DNS servers causing more slow down. We are bringing these back up now and everything should be smooth again soon[/quote]
Typical, straight to the personal, with no useful information.

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

Hmmm. I apologize. I keep forgetting how sensitive you are to your posting history here, and how much you don’t appreciate having it referenced.

What was meant to be “useful” was pointing out, to moua, in response to moua’s question, that the original question was a “troll”, (offering item “B” in light of Item “A”, though the two are completely unrelated). You don’t find that “useful”, others might. :wink:

I did not, nor will I, respond to your original post, or any further post from you in this thread. So have at it! :slight_smile:

At any rate, I’ve been this route before … I’ve said my piece, you’ve objected, I’ve apologized; we still disagree… Rock on!

–rlparker

[quote]there is no indication at all that the last two days’ network
problems are in any way related to the number of
customers, or to growth

[/quote]

Nope, just your typical DH lack of redundancy.

You’d think they’d learn by now that equipment fails and that having both redundancy and a plan to deal with failures would be a good thing.

Nah.

I agree completely that redundancy and plans to deal with failures are good things of which one can never have too much! :slight_smile:

If only it were so simple. Misbehaving network equipment can be a real bear to debug.

Either that or the network guys at the company I work for have been snookering us for years. :slight_smile:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I’d like to usefully point out that “Se7enOf9” is just another one of Bob’s sock puppets. Yesterday, the sock puppet du jour was “anonymous2”.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

It is possible that the redundance caused the problem. Networking loops can happen and cause all kinds of trouble.

I’m quite sure that two days in a row is not going to go over well with Josh. He’s got a newsletter and Blogs to write.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Now DNS is completely broken and the status page is down too. It’s like the keystone cops.

I’ve actually been back up and running for a while. Guess it’s one of those server-by-server things.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

[quote]It’s like the keystone cops.

[/quote]

In light of the previous comments, I can’t resist this joke: All this Fubar is like the keystone websites, which is ironically “server not found” as I write this.

[quote]If only it were so simple. Misbehaving network equipment can be a real bear to debug.

[/quote]

Does it get easier with larger and larger systems?

[/quote]

[quote]Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at mysql.dreamhoststatus.com. This could mean your host’s database server is down.

• Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
  • Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
  • Are you sure that the database server is running?

If you’re unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.[/quote]

[quote]there is no indication at all that the last two days’ network problems are in any way related to the number of customers, or to growth

[/quote]

They got so much traffic at the status site, they take it static or it fails. That is an indication of problems related to number of customers.

I will grudgingly admit that this made me laugh too. :slight_smile:

si-blog

Now their status site seems to be down altogether… so much for it being in a separate domain on a separate server on a separate network ensuring that it stays up even when everything else is horked. Ironically, this forum, which is in a subdomain of dreamhost.com, is still up.

– Dan

Perhaps it is being hit by 500,000 customers all at once?

si-blog

DreamMasters or WhateverMasters:

Please stop worrying about sock puppets and spend more time trying to make it work.

I’m just a customer like you are. My sites are down too.

si-blog