Registering Domain at the time of Dreamhost Reg

I am thinking about hosting with Dreamhost, but i haven’t yet settled on a domain name. I know free domain name registration comes with the hosting plan, but my question is this:

Do i have to register a domain right away to take advantage of the free domain registration, or can i sign up for the hosting plan, use their free subdomain, and then utilize the free domain registration later?

Yes, you just need to select the “Just a dreamhosters.com sub-domain for now (you can still register a free domain later)!” option during sign-up and specify the dreamhosters.com sub-domain you would like.

If you do this, you will have one domain ‘credit’ under your account, this will allow you to register a domain later at a cost of $0 :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Mark, you are a gracious man. Thanks for such a quick response!

Thank you for the kind words. :blush:

Further to what I wrote above, I should point out that your ‘free’ domain registration is ‘free’ for as long as you continue to host at DreamHost.

Every year, just before your anniversary date, you will be given another domain ‘credit’ that you can use to renew your existing domain, or if you like, you can let that one lapse and register a completely new domain.

Note, I refer to it as a domain ‘credit’, but this ‘credit’ doesn’t actually show up anywhere, the only way you will know that you have such a ‘credit’ is the price for purchasing or renewing a domain in the admin panel will be shown as $0.00.

I hope the above makes sense, it is getting a little late here in Australia and I really should be sleeping. :wink:

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I never use the free domains I get with some webhosters, like in Dreamhost’s case.
I still have the available registration, and more than 20 months have passed :slight_smile:

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef

[quote]the free domain registration

[/quote]

I like to think of it as “included.”

Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

I’m not sure about this. But it seems if you don’t choose a dreamhost subdomain name when you signed up, you can’t have it any more.

but you can have free domain name after you have a plan with a free dreamhost subdomain name first.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

If you want to know the real answer, ask support. Don’t trust any of the lunatics here unless their name is michael.

Wholly

Actually, Nathan, you can add as many free subdomains of dreamhosters.com as you want, and you can do it at any time. As long as the subdomain you want is available, you just add it as a new domain in the panel and you are good to go.

–rlparker

Then you should now have two domain registration credits. :slight_smile:

Mark

hi rlparker. I’ve tried to add a DH subdomain in DH panel. But it said [color=#CC0000]Can’t add domain: you don’t have permission to add to dreamhost.com.[/color]

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

That would probably be because you tried to add a dreamhost.com sub-domain, not a dreamhosters.com sub-domain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mark

That’s correct…you cannot add a subdomain to Dreamhost.com (for obvious reasons!) They did allow that several years ago, but it only took a couple of idiots to point out that that was not a good idea.

You CAN add all the free subdomains you want, however, as subdomains of dreamhosters.com (note the ending “ers”), as I indicated in my previous post! :wink:

–rlparker

I see. Thanks for the help rlparder and mark