Reg transfer.... .us?

Trying to transfer my registration from Godaddy to here. I already have domain and hosting through DH as well. When I tried to transfer it over to DH it said that DH cannot transfer “.us” Am I screwed and if so, what is the reasoning behind this?

Are the domains ‘locked’ to avoid illegal transfers by somebody else? If they are you may just have to set the status to unlock via the GoDaddy panel. (I cannot remember where the option is or if you have to contact GoDaddy support).

Norm

Opinions are my own views and not the views of DreamHost. :open_mouth:
Any advice offered by me should be acted upon at your own risk.

Norm,

Yes, the domain is unlocked. This is the error message I get when I try to transfer to DH:

Error: We can only transfer .com, .net, .org, and .info domains!

They only deal with certain top level domains (.com/.org/.info) in their registrar function. Those are the only ones you can transfer the registrar services completely to Dreamhost. However, in their completely distinct function as a web host, they can host domains in any top level domain. You just have to keep the registration of the domain at your existing registrar, but set the DNS servers to point at Dreamhost for hosting.

– Dan

You can always ask the DreamHost support people. Maybe there are special conditions to a .us domain like with a .co.uk that makes automatic transfer not possible.

Norm

Opinions are my own views and not the views of DreamHost. :open_mouth:
Any advice offered by me should be acted upon at your own risk.