Refunds

Does Dreamhost offer any kind of refunds? I am a new user, having signed up just this week, and already I do not like Dreamhost.

For one, with my old host, when I uploaded to my site, everything was visible immediately. I only switched hosts, because Dreamhost offered a good deal on bandwidth/space.

I don’t like how I can’t restore my blog database without having to know some hi-tech commands or whatever.

I feel like I just wasted 200 dollars for nothing, and now my site is stuck in limbo. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I just want to find another host now.

“Does Dreamhost offer any kind of refunds?”

There is a 91 day Money Back guarantee. So you should be able to geta full refund.

“For one, with my old host, when I uploaded to my site, everything was visible immediately. I only switched hosts, because Dreamhost offered a good deal on bandwidth/space.”

Anything upload to you site IS visible immediatly. if it isn’t you are doing something wrong (or there is something wrong with your site.

"I don’t like how I can’t restore my blog database without having to know some hi-tech commands or whatever. "

It can all be done from the phpMyAdmin screen of your old host (to save your data) and then the same screen on dreamhost. Point and click. no Hi-tech commands.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting

Alright…first I uploaded everything to the root directory. Nothing showed up. Then I read somewhere that I had to create a folder called mydomain.com and that was where the public html would reside. I created that folder and uploaded index.htm. Nothing whatsoever.

And I don’t understand how to get to phpMyAdmin on the Dreamhost control panel. I know all of these questions sound stupid, but all of the other hosts I have used were much easier to handle, and I could actually find everything easily.

There should have already been a directory called yourdomainname.com, you shouldn’t create it. (and it does take a while (hour) for it to get created).

Go to your panel->goodies->mysql and click on the sqlsubdomain name (ie yoursql.yourdomainname.com). phpMyAdmin will come up automatically (once the DB is set up, and once the name has propogated).

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting

I guess this just isn’t going the way I hoped. Thanks for your help.

If your site isn’t visible, it’s possible that you didn’t change your domain record to the correct DNS records for Dreamhost, or that you did this but not long enough ago for it to have propagated in the network.

– Dan

I emailed support and they said I was uploading with the wrong user, and that is why my files weren’t showing up. I had to set up another user FTP, because the one I signed up with was not working.

Support gave me a new password, but does this mean I have to wait even longer for my original user to work, or should it work now?

Plus I can’t get a refund since I used Paypal. This is really frustrating me to no end. I hope I didn’t waste $200 for nothing.

you didn’t waste $200, don’t sweat that. In fact, don’t sweat anything (unless it’s a commercial site and you’re in financial pain while you get square here, if that’s the case eamil me and I’ll be happy to go to work for you if you pay well! ;).

This is a good place to be but there is a learning curve when you switch hosts. DH even more so, but for the better in my opinion.

If you can keep a cool head and just ask around here, there’s plenty of people that will be happy to help you get up to speed.

Good luck!

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

Thanks for that. It’s just been a bad day. ^^;;

I’ll stick it out and see if I can learn what the heck I’m doing wrong.

excellent :slight_smile:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

I’m also new to DH as I switched over in the last week. As was already said, there is a learning curve with DH. Took me about 2 hours to get most things figured out, much of it I like, some of it is annoying but still easily usable once you learn the in’s and out’s of how DH’s control panel works.

Sorry about the whole angry post thing. Everything is working now, and I’m really liking DreamHost. Thanks for everyone’s help. ;D

hey, it’s cool that you realized it…and even better that you let us know…welcome!

: )