Referrals not paid?

When I look at my referrals page, I see that I get credit for referring TWO accounts under the $65 reward option. However, when I then check the “Rewards Payment Report” then I only see ONE of these. Why is the other one missing?

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

[quote]When I look at my referrals page, I see that I get credit for referring TWO accounts under the $65 reward option. However, when I then check the “Rewards Payment Report” then I only see ONE of these. Why is the other one missing?

[/quote]

777 Promo? :wink:

I too am in the process of getting my rewards sorted out (issue brought forward from 2004). Although I know that I’m in good hands (Josh), I must say that the reporting interface might need some update (if not an overhaul), as it could be confusing, at least to the end-users.

DreamRegistrar.com - $7.95/mo for 800 MB Disk and 120 GB Transfer

I believe you have to wait until the referred individual pays their next payed month until you get your referral $. With promotions, sometimes you have to wait until the promotion is over as well.

MacManX.com

The referral report states that Bold people have made at least one payment and so you got rewards!

If a person signs up with a promotion that does not trigger a reward, then this person’s account name should not be in bold type. Gah! I’ll write to DH Support and ask them to fix this. I feel cheated :’-( and there’s no reason for it if they just change their definition of when an account becomes bold.

TorbenGB

Got this from DH Support:
[i]Customers who sign up for promotional rates are still listed in Bold on
the referral page even though the rewards will not yet be allocated to
the referrers account. I have passed on your suggestion to clarify this
on to our design team.

The user [/i](username here)[i] signed up under the Birthday Promotion.

I apologize for the confusion. If you need anything else just let us
know.[/i]

I’m not happy about this. The report clearly states that I earned a reward, and they can’t run away from it. There are no terms betweeen DH and me as a referrer that let them not pay the reward when they so clearly say that I earned it.

TorbenGB

I’m sorry… that text shouldn’t have said “and so you got rewards!” it should have really just said that they’ve made a payment.

I’ve updated it now to specifically point out that users who only have domain registration accounts, or ones who sign up with certain promo codes won’t have resulted in a rewards payment, despite having made a payment.

I’m really sorry about that, we didn’t mean to mislead or hide anything, I promise… I hope you understand.

josh!

Hi Josh,
Perhaps you’ve seen that I’m also writing to DH Billing about this, because I feel you’re breaking your own rules about the referral system.

I think you should not simply change the wording onthe site. We still feel ripped off: we are referring people for naught. Please could you change the reporting so that people are only listed in bold text if we got a reward – that’s what we’re interested in, after all. That would make a lot more sense in the report and for the users (even if it means a little more work than adding 21 words to the sentence).

TorbenGB

[quote]I too am in the process of getting my rewards sorted out (issue brought forward from 2004). Although I know that I’m in good hands (Josh), I must say that the reporting interface might need some update (if not an overhaul), as it could be confusing, at least to the end-users.

[/quote]

Not meant to hijack this thread, but from the few latest replies by Josh to my billing enquiries, I am now more and more convinced that DreamHost NEEDS to do a little more with the Rewards system, both front and back end (sorry if it means more workload for Josh). This is particular true with the triple disk space AND bandwidth, DreamHost now becomes VERY competitive; this makes our referring way much easier; HOWEVER, with some of your competitors offering no less (or even better) incentives (a.k.a. commissions), poor reporting or unreliable records could well cut into our enthusiasm in recommending a good host that we ourselves use. :wink:

GungHost.com - Gung-ho Web Hosting :: $7.95/mo for 2,400 MB Disk and 120 GB Transfer

It looks to me like DreamHost has serious flaws in their referral scheme at the moment.
Fact: DH and us existing customers (referrers) have an agreement that we will be rewarded for every referral that results in a payment to DH.
Fact: We can choose to get 10% or $65, and we can switch at will.
Fact: When DH&referrers entered this agreement, there were no exception clauses.
Fact: DH ran a promotion, and did not pay rewards to the referrers.
Fact: The exception claimed by DH Billing and/or DH Support is not listed on the website or in any announcement e-mails (at that time - they added this later, in part).
Fact: Referrers who chose the 10% option DO get rewards on ALL referrals.
Fact: Referrers who chose the $65 option do NOT get rewards on some referrals.
Fact: Referrers have no way of telling why a reward was not triggered (can only assume that DH is either making a mistake or is cheating).
Fact: DH is changing the terms of the referral reward agreement on-the-fly without giving any notice to the referrers (neither before nor after the change).
Fact: The terms are currently internally inconsistent: In some places, DH claims to offer $65 rewards for every referral (even in the e-mail signature of mails from DH Billing!!!)
Fact: The terms are inconsistent with DH current practise: They now claim that they do not offer rewards for promotional referrals; they do NOT pay $ rewards but they DO pay % rewards.

Fact: I have referred a number of users but I did not get the rewards that DH was promising at the time of the referral.

The current DH rewards practise is illegal in the country where I live (Denmark), but I don’t know about US. This situation is very suspicious and not at all what we are used to from DreamHost.

TorbenGB

Hey,

Okay, we’ve changed that page now a bit! Bold now should really mean you’ve gotten rewards from that person, whereas now italics means they’ve paid but you didn’t get rewards (either because they are doing domain registration or used a promo code that doesn’t pay rewards), and regular text still means they haven’t made a payment.

Hope this helps things a bit!

josh!

Josh,

While I appreciate the continued attempt to clarify this matter, I am also alarmed and the response DH is taking to these things.

You and I exchanged emails after the 777 promo. Things were never really cleared up, but I just let things be.

DH cannot change the agreement and then retroactively enforce it. If the agreement is that users will get paid $65 for each person signed up, DH has to do this even if they run a promo where that would lose them money. One of your emails said by continuing as a DH customer and paying my bill, I agreed to the TOS each time they were updated. However, in my original agreement that was never written so it can’t be enforced.

In short, not only can changes to the TOS not be retroactively enforced, but changes to the TOS cannot be enforced unless the user has agreed to them. DH is not following their own contract with its customers.

Ya know, and what’s now written on the rewards page (the one with all the stats) is still not quite accurate.

“Italicized WEB IDs have made a payment… but you haven’t gotten rewards, either because they only have domain registrations or used certain promotional codes when signing up.)”

There are two people (in the direct, 10% column) now italicized on my list who have made payment, did not just do domain reg and did not use promotional codes. Another one did use a promotional code - a $25 off coupon that DH gave me. Shouldn’t I have still received rewards for the rest of the $215 they’ve spent?

Now I have 14 italicized people on there, and some of them I KNOW do not meet the qualifications for the italicizing.

My referrer list was like this too for a while - a couple people who I know I’ve gotten rewards from appeared italicized for a day or two, then mysteriously reverted to bold.

I’m currently having a problem, however, with not receiving any referral payments after December. And even then, some monthly recurring payments mysteriously stopped, even though I know these people are still paying customers. What happened? Either something is broken, or something is enforcing a new rule that I was not aware of.

Mine reverted to bold as well. Payments are still coming in though.