Reference Books?

software development

I’ve been dabbling around with a few of my scripts (many of which I’ve grabbed from “free scripts” type websites).

In wanting to make subtle changes to these scripts so that they will do a few extra things, I downloaded ActiveState’s perl, and used their documentation tutorials/examples to get started on the basics. Then, I grabbed a few “quick start” books to go a little further.

Now, however, there are so many other things that I want my “free scripts” to do, and I’m finding it somewhat difficult to follow and modify some of the scripts original codes (especially on those that have been deprecated).

Therefore, it’s become my personal goal to do-away with all the “free scripts” and create my own. Basic stuff I’ve learned to do (like a simple guest book, form-to-email, etc.) I would like to expand on this, so that I can create scripts that can run a major database driven user/pwd login file upload/edit/delete type webpages.

So, I’m looking for reference books. I already have:

• CGI Programming 101 by J.D. Hamilton
  • CGI/Perl Cookbook by Patchett & Wright
  • Writing CGI Applications with Perl by Meltzer & Michalski
  • Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21 Days by L. Lemay

… can anyone recommend a few other fairly good reference books for the “newbie” perl/cgi programmer?

thanks a bunches,

Lonie :wink:

[quote]I’m finding it somewhat difficult to follow and modify some
of the scripts original codes (especially on those that have
been deprecated).

[/quote]

I completely understand this - I got my start coding in Perl by hacking existing scripts, after at some point realizing that it’s actually much easier to code your own thing from scratch. With Perl in particular, people tend to write some pretty ugly looking code. I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to coding style (indenting, good variable names, etc), so I mostly learned the language to avoid needless frustration.

[quote]… can anyone recommend a few other fairly good reference
books for the “newbie” perl/cgi programmer?

[/quote]

“Learning Perl” by O’Reilly & Associates is the book to go to when learning the language.

If you can swing the extra cash, “Programming Perl” is a good addition. It goes into more detail than Learning Perl.

Finally, you’ll want to get a copy of Perl in a Nutshell. It works more as a reference than anything, but is pretty much invaluable (a good reference can save you a ton of time and effort).

In my opinion, you can rarely go wrong by getting O’Reilly books.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin