Redundant Servers?

Hi, I’m trying to build some fault-tolerance into my site. What I’d like is to have server1.mydomain.com and server2.mydomain.com resolve to physically distinct hardware. What’s the easiest/cheapest way to do this on Dreamhost? Would I have to buy a second hosting plan? Two static IPs? Are you even set up to manage accounts w/r/t actual hardware like that?

You can create unlimited subdomain in the same account in DH.

You do not have to have static IP for subdomains.

Save $97 with promo code: [color=#CC0000]97YES Sign Up NOW[/color]

As far as I am aware, to have those sub-domains on physically separate DreamHost servers you would need two hosting accounts, as all domains and/or sub-domains under the one account will be located on the same physical server. The problem is, the DreamHost TOS forbids customers from holding multiple accounts;

[color=#0000CC]“The Customer agrees to hold only one (1) active web hosting service plan at any given time with DreamHost Web Hosting. Signing up for multiple plans is grounds for termination of all additional plans without warning.”[/color]

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yes you can, but that doesn’t address the original posters question, the OP wants the sub-domains on separate physical servers.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

You’d have to buy independent, physically separate hosting.

Recent, related: http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/07/1442254

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

If you’re going for redundancy for uptime reasons, I’d say you’re off to a bad start by putting them both in the same data center, let alone the same host. I’d go for two different data centers, preferably in two different states, with failover DNS.

If you just want it for backup reasons, beyond your own backups and the backups DH keeps, then you could just go with an off-site backup service. I’d probably go with Gnax for that.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

The only way this is feasible and guarantee that it stays working is to buy a static IP. Once you have the static IP point your domain to ns1.dreamhost.com and an alternate with the tertiary as ns3.dreamhost.com. (This should make sure all of your nameservers are in seperate datacenters. As per Dreamhost - ns3.dreamhost.com is in an offsite location)

The alternate that I have mentioned, you can buy for cheaper than hosting in most cases. Check out http://www.no-ip.com for managed DNS. They will cover it for less than $25.00/year.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]