Redirecting a domain

Hi! New to dreamhost. I registered a domain but am not hosting a site right now. I wanted to know how I could redirect my domain name to my blog or my Etsy shop.

Thanks in advance. I looked it up in Wiki but was still confused. :confused:

If you haven’t added hosting for your newly registered domain:
In your control panel under “Domains>Manage Domains”, click on "Add New Domain / Sub-Domain. On the next page, you’re able to pick how you want to host the domain. You want to fill in the url for the second section labeled “Redirected” by filling in the url of where you want your domain to redirect to. Then click the button labeled “Redirect this domain now!”

If you have added hosting for the domain already:
In the “Domain>Manage Domains” page of your panel, you should see your domain listed in the table under the “complete domain summary”. In the column labeled “Web Hosting”, there should be an “Edit” button. Click on it. You’re then taken to a page where you’re allowed to change how your domain is hosted. (this is the same page as the one described above where you make your initial selections for hosting a domain). (repeating instructions…) You want to fill in the url for the second section labeled “Redirected” by filling in the url of where you want your domain to redirect to. Then click the button labeled “Redirect this domain now!”

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Another way is to create a php text file named ‘index.php’. The content of the file would be something like this :

[color=#00CC00][b]

<?php header("location: http://beadsinthebelfry.blogspot.com/"); ?>

[/b][/color]

Then uploaded it to your server using Dreamhost’s webftp or ftp client mechanism.

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $97 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !

Check out instructions on how to apply the code !

You can also do redirects with a .htaccess file. There’s truly more than one way to skin a cat.

– Dan

Hi,
I just want to do the redirect of my url temporarily (while I design the site). Will it be easy to remove the redirect if I implement it through the Domain Management menu you suggested?
Thank you very much!
tym

It’s easy enough to un-redirect it in that you just have to choose a different option - say, “Fully Host” the domain.

3 extra lifetime domains and $52 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM52[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons

Thank you kindly.