Redirect

How can I get my site to redirect to a different site not with Dreamhost?
I’d like for a visitor to be redirected to my other site once they visit my dreamhost site.

set up the domain as mirrored. Panel > domains > Manage >add new mimrroed domain.

-Matttail

Thanks Mattail.

It won’t let me do it. It says, “Invalid domain: domain name must contain only letters, numbers, “-”, and “.”.”

My dreamhost site is www.giphts.com.
When someone goes there, I would like for them to be sent to www.cafepress.com/giphts

Is it b/c of the “/”?

sorry, my fault. I think a redirected domain or cloaked one will work for you.

-Matttail

Mattail,
I got the same message as before.
I have been told that for my other site to fulfill its purpose I should redirect and not cloak, but it doesn’t like the url i enter:

Thanks again.

Ok, I just tested, and I set up a redirect thrugh the Panel. Add a new domain, and just fill in the box for the redirect. Place the name of a domain or sub-domain that has not allready been used elsewhere. In the next box, put in the url of the domain you want to forward to.

For instance I set up my test this way:
Domain to redirect: go.googlies.net
Redirect to URL: http://www.google.com/

Try it like that, and see if it works.

-Matttail

Same thing happened.
I think it won’t let me because I didn’t do it at the beginning when I first registered the domain and got a dreamhost account.
That domain is www.giphts.com
I tried just typing in the domain section “giphts.com” and it said "Can’t add domain: already in our system."
It seems like I would not need to “add” domain but change the settings for one that already exists. Am I trying it in the wrong place?

Thanks again for helping,

Josh

If the domain already exists on the Dreamhost system, go to Domains -> Manage, select ‘Edit’ next to the domain you want to redirect, and fill in the target redirect URL in the appropriate place.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

kchrist,

That worked.
Thanks for your help.