Redirect to alternate port?

I want to set up a subdomain that redirects/forwards the user to my home PC (which has a dynamic host) but on an alternate port (my ISP blocks port 80 for code-red type reasons). I was hoping it was as simple as setting the subdomain to redirect to URL

http://www..org:81

in the DH panels, but that doesn’t seem to work. Has anyone done anything like this? I guess I could point it at a webpage that has a javascript redirect, but that’s not quite as elegant.

Also, is it possible that Dreamhost may offer dynamic DNS services similar to sites like dyndns.org to their customers in the future?

Thanks - Zilch

Ignore that! I’m an idiot and had a typo in the URL I entered. It works fine redirecting to port 81. :slight_smile:

Of course I can’t ftp into my home machine using that subdomain… :frowning:

I’d still be interested in knowing if DH would consider adding some sort of dynamic DNS services to their offering. It would be nice to have my home machine appear as a subdomain of my dreamhost hosted domain.

Zilch.

The easiest way to do this is to sign up for a dynamic DNS service and then point a CNAME to this record from within your domain; ie:
foo IN CNAME bar.dyndns.org.
or something like that.

This isn’t a great idea if you want to run a mail or DNS server, but for the most part that’s not a good idea on a dynamic IP anyway.

I don’t think it’s likely that we’ll offer a dynamic DNS service of our own anytime soon.