Redirect problem


#1

hola.

I have a domain http://www.burlyweb.com. It is a ‘redirect’ site which sends users to http://kahn.burlyweb.com.

I also have a domain http://www.lambdaiota.org. It is also a ‘redirect’ site which sends users to http://lambdaiota.burlyweb.com

The sites work fine on my Windows PC running all browsers. They also work fine using IE (recent versions) on a Macintosh.

The redirection (I assume it is an HTTP header or the like) does NOT work on old IE on a mac - nor on Netscape version 4.7 or older (also on a Mac).

Is there ANY way to get around these issues?

-Matt


#2

http://www.burlyweb.com doesn’t redirect to http://kahn.burlyweb.com for me in either Mozilla or Netscape.

Are you using our ‘redirect’ service, or are you using a meta refresh tag? Our redirect service should work for pretty much all browsers that anyone would be using.


#3

I am using redirect - sorry burlyweb doesn’t redirect but look at lambdaiota.org


#4

Works OK for me in Netscape 4.77 and in Mozilla. You could try setting it up as fully hosted and using a tag to redirect instead…

I think most browsers should recognize a 302 though.

jazz% wget lambdaiota.org
–13:56:58-- http://lambdaiota.org/
=> index.html' Resolving lambdaiota.org... done. Connecting to lambdaiota.org[66.33.211.143]:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found Location: http://lambdaiota.burlyweb.com [following] --13:56:58-- http://lambdaiota.burlyweb.com/ =>index.html’
Resolving lambdaiota.burlyweb.com… done.
Connecting to lambdaiota.burlyweb.com[66.33.211.143]:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

[ <=> ] 15,291 46.23K/s

13:56:59 (46.23 KB/s) - `index.html’ saved [15291]


#5

did you try it on a macintosh? Windows works fine.


#6

Very funky… I generally use Chimera, which is a Mac (OSX only) browser based directly on Mozilla’s gecko rendering engine.

Yesterday, I tried lambdaiota.org with it, and got the non-redirect condition (ended up at one of those registrar “coming soon” pages). Worked fine in IE on the same computer.

Today, however, lambdaiota.org is definitely redirecting properly to http://lambdaiota.burlyweb.com/ – In IE, Chimera, and Mozilla.

I don’t know what changed or why, but it’s ok now and wasn’t before…

Edit: I also noticed both days that on the first redirect the calendar script seems to choke with an error; if you reload or on subsequent connects it displays properly.