Recommended reading or sites

I’m completely lost. The instructions here assume I know way more than I do - directory, path, ftp server, example.com - don’t understand what any of that means. I’ll get it, but is there some book or site with big pictures? Cyberduck, which I used, lost me, iWeb makes no sense, the FTP provided wants information I can’t find in my panel. iwebfaq.org assumes I am much smarter than I am at present. I know it’s my job to figure this out. Any resource suggestions? I’m using a mac.

There’s the wiki:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/

If the wiki still leaves you stumped, post your specific question here and we’ll see what we can do.

The upcoming version of iWeb will let you publish to your own FTP site, so that makes things nicer.

-Scott

Thank you, Scott. Yes, the wiki stumps me still. That tells me I’m going to have to grit through it. I’ve seen similar questions to mine in other threads, but the explanations, helpful as they were, also lost me. I will learn it, either by picture books, experimenting, or maybe an adult ed class if need be. Then I can ask better questions.

I spent a lot of time mulling over registrar and hoster. I finally had it down to two companies whose CEOs seemed pretty cool. Then a high school student told me about Dreamhost and I liked the vibes from the bosses and the workers and this forum.

I saw that new version of iWeb. I’ll get it. Thanks again.

Tom

I’m just curious here but do you know anything about html or web design in general or are you completely in the dark? If you have no idea where to start, I suggest you head over to http://www.webmonkey.com/ and poke around under tutorials==>web basics. When I first got into web design that site saved my life (well, not literally but it was a fountain of knowledge for web newbies). Using a page builder is OK but its better you know the underlying code IMO if you plan on really getting serious and the web monkey is a good place to start. Also, learning how to use a FTP program is definitely a MUST. I personally use Flash FXP. You will need the host you are logging into (i.e. ftp.mywebsite.com) and your username and password. once you do log in, you should see a directory mywebsite.com (whatever your domain name happens to be) and double click on it in most ftp programs to actually go into the directory. this is where all of your web pages will be transferred. It’s just a matter of drag and drop from a directory on your computer to your website in most cases.

Store: http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for custom CMS or forum install/host transfer $75.
[color=#CC0000]$25 Off[/color] with promo code SPRINKLES

I’m pretty much in the dark. Html certainly looks learnable, and I agree I should, and will, learn at least the basics. Thank you for the webmonkey.com suggestion. I read the most basic tutorial - very well written for when I get there.

However, right now I would like to get a page up on my site. I built a page using iWeb. As far as I can tell I followed every direction for Cyberduck. I got my FTP servername, username, password (there seem to be two I have to try willy nilly until one works. My site is still an error.

I went to Wiki, the getting started page. It tells me I need an index page “just create an .html document, and name it index.html.” Ok, that completely lost me (create?, name?, upload? [Cyberduck again]). I obviously don’t know enough to understand the simple directions.

That’s why I’m looking for something for complete novices. Picture books, anyone? I’m sure I can learn and then ask questions here, but I have to know something first.

I’ve never used iWeb but I assume that’s a page building program of some sort. When you create your web page and save it (as something.html?) you need to rename the file to index.html. Are you on a pc or a mac? I don’t use macs but if you are on a pc you may need to go into folder options and uncheck hide extensions of known file types so you actually see something.html instead of just something (you still following me?). It’s just a matter of right-clicking on the file and renaming it to index.html and uploading it (as in transferring it from your computer with your ftp program) into the mysite.com folder (whatever your domain name happens to be called)

If you don’t know anything at all about building websites you may want to look into using a one-click install of wordpress (which is a blog) or something (I recommend the advanced setting).

PM for custom CMS/Blog/forum install/host transfer $75.

Well i think this would be the right place to post this.

At the top of filezilla it wants a host name to log on to.
Is my host name (Dreamhost.com) or (mydomain.net) or is it the SQL Server database thing?

I am fresh out of the garden and know nothing about any of this.
I must say thankyou for the link to the webmonkey.

If any one can point me in the direction of fast and easy info set or video that would help me, that would be grate.

Thanks
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.

Just whack in mydomain.net mate :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

I keep getting the same thing

Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

What am i doing wrong?

Those messages could be the result of more than one thing (wrong server, username, password, etc.).

We can’t know for sure what you are doing wrong without looking over your shoulder or reviewing all your settings, so my advice is to review all your settings carefully following this tutorial (complete with pictures):

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/FileZilla_Setup

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

for your hostname you aren’t just putting mydomain.net right? It’s going to be ftp.mydomain.net and your DH username and password.

PM for custom CMS/Blog/forum install/host transfer $75.

You don’t need ftp.mydomain.net, as it points to the exact same place as mydomain.net and www.mydomain.net.

-Scott