Recommendations Accepted

I was using Microsoft Publisher before coming to Dreamhost. I never had any problems FTPing, etc… Worked like a dream.
Now I can’t get the darn thing to upload. I saw this thread:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_beginners&Number=33806&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Publisher&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=33806

It is exactly what is happening to me.

So a couple of questions - obviously Publisher isn’t compatible with Dreamhost. I’ve used FrontPage in the past & still have FrontPage 2002.

So should I got back to FP or is it also a problem?

If not, program recommendations accepted - I’m not a computer expert & like the WYSIWYG type program.

Anywho, I’ve been fighting to get my web page back up for weeks - first the last hosting - well I paid the company & the company didn’t pay the big guy, so my site was shut down & I transfered here about a weekish ago & I’m still not up & running & I’ve got customers calling to see if we are still in biz!!!

YIKS!

TIA,
Lisa

There are no circumstances when I could consider recommending the use of Microsoft FrontPage, and definitely not Publisher. If you must use a WYSIWYG editor, I recommend Nvu if you don’t have money, and Dreamweaver if you do.

A more robust solution would be for you to follow this simple tutorial - HTML is much easier to create than you think.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Another vote for Dreamweaver. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks everyone!! I downloaded Nvu as a quick temporary fix - at least I have a single page up for now until I learn the thing or acquire Dreamweaver.

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU!

Lisa

Haven’t got a clue. I use the excellent UltraEdit32 on Windows XP, but I have no knowledge of Linux text editors. Of course, the typical novice to (X)HTML is unlikely to be a Linux user.

Well, I can’t say I like Dreamweaver better than Nvu, as I’ve never used Nvu (but I intend to check it out now), but here are a few things I really like about Dreamweaver…

CSS Layout Backgrounds: Visually (using colours) shows you the size/position of CSS elements, allowing you to resize/reposition them just by dragging them.

Tracing Image: Allows you to place an image ‘in front off’ the design view of your page (with configurable transparency). I find this is great for converting photoshop mockups to real pages.

Code Collapse: Being able to hide/expand sections of code while working in code view.

There is a lot more I like about Dreamweaver, but those are the things that come to mind.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

It is my understanding that Notepad can only handle Unicode in the Windows 2000 and Windows XP flavors. I don’t believe there is any BOM support, or anything like that.

One of my favorite things about Dreamweaver is its ability to edit files that aren’t even open, thousands of them, in one sweep. I don’t know if other editors have that, but the ones I’ve tried don’t. I haven’t tried Nvu, and today is the first I’ve heard of it.

I’ve heard bad things about FrontPage from the very beginning of my web design years, and have never considered using it.

Another very good web design program ($39.95) is EditPad Pro. I have it, although I got it mostly for text files, but I like having it as a web design program as well.

Jen
http://www.SassyDevil.com/

Well, I still see websites being coded like it was 1997 (table cruft, code forking, etc), so I just assumed most people were trapped in the '90s.