Recommend Good Books

apps

Hi - I hope this is a good forum to put this question.

I have been doing web design previously with MS Front Page. I have some understanding of html and java script. I am now trying to install a phpbb forum and Word Press blogs. I wondered if anyone could suggest some good books that would help get me started in understanding php and MySLQ - particularly in how it relates to phpBB and Word Press - as well as Dreamhost.

I am pretty good at trying to stumble through and get the job done - but I would prefer to understand what I am doing and why. Looking at reviews on Amazon.com - I am totally unsure which books would be appropriate and good to start with. I am a beginner - but very goal oriented.

Thanks in advance for any help. And I am always open to any hearing of any web sites people have found help also.

Feathered Wonders

To be honest, your best bet would be to get yourself a more generic grounding in PHP and MySQL, but you really should have a thorough understanding of HTML first. With that in mind, let me recommend that you buy these books:

1. Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML and XHTML in 21 Days
  2. Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours

The former will introduce you to CSS, along with an excellent start in XHTML. The latter will give you a basic understanding of MySQL in addition to the PHP.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I highly recommend:

PHP and MySQL Web Development, by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson
ISBN: 0-672-32525-X

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

I personally haven’t read it myself, but it may be worth checking out Learning PHP 5 by O’Reilly & Associates:

I haven’t read this one, as I mentioned, but O’Reilly has such consistently well-written and edited books that it’s worth checking out.

Also: Note that while it says PHP5, most of the content will apply to earlier versions such as v4.3.10 (which we offer). We’ll be offering PHP5 in the future anyhow, so whatever you learn won’t be wasted.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

This is too funny - my husband who have been trying to get me into Linux and open source for years- just sent me over to O’Reilly. The die-hard microsoft person that I am, wasn’t, sure if those books were good and I was going to come back over here and ask. Guess I got my answer before I asked - LOL.

So weird - hubby had to drag me into microsoft stuff because I wasn’t going to switch from Dos way back when - now he is into this whole other thing and I am have been holding on to microsoft. However, now I am seeing the limitations to not looking elsewhere. I am using Firefox and Thunderbird. So I guess I now enter the world of open source thanks to signing up with Dreamhost. My husband already thinks Dreamhost is wonderful - for that alone.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Feathered Wonders

Would the fourth edition “Sams Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML & XHTML in 21 Days, Fourth Edition” http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672325195/ref=pd_sbs_b_1/002-8894774-0607261?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance be as good as the third edition? I think I could definitely use the help in CSS and XHTML since I have been kind of faking it with Microsoft Frontpage in Web Design. Have done well - but it is time to get the basics. I will check them out.

BTW - really loved your sites!

Feathered Wonders

I had been wondering about this one also. Glad to get two votes in favor of this. And I do appreciate you both for letting me know this one is very good. I think I will be collecting some new books soon.

Feathered Wonders

[quote]This is too funny - my husband who have been trying to get me into
Linux and open source for years- just sent me over to O’Reilly. The
die-hard microsoft person that I am, wasn’t, sure if those books were
good and I was going to come back over here and ask. Guess I got my
answer before I asked - LOL.

[/quote]

Heh. Well, ORA has a pretty well-known reputation for quality within the open-source world. I couldn’t even guess as to how many of their books line the bookshelves of DH employees. I know that I have a good dozen or so, myself.

They do have some Windows-specific books available, but I’m not sure how good they are. Most of mine are programming-related.

[quote]However, now I am seeing the limitations to not looking elsewhere.

[/quote]

Well, that’s the beauty of open-source technologies: choice, and the lack of vendor lock-in. In some cases, the software itself (ie. Firefox) has become every bit as polished as the closed-source alternatives, if not moreso.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Well spotted! I was not aware that a fourth edition had emerged, but obviously it would be a better choice.

I can’t say enough praise about that book. I learned XHTML and some basic CSS from scratch (after previously being a FrontPager myself), and it really did take 21 days (rather less, in fact). You’ll find yourself getting hooked on CSS.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Thank you. I understand what is so great about CSS - and have sort of used it for Memorials I have done (for online bird friends who have passed) - but it was basically altering someone else CSS’s. So this is great - I was going to ask about CSS and where to learn also. I guess I am really ready to make the big leap here and stop “cheating.” Plan to get the credit card out in a bit and go serious book shopping! My online bird friends may have to wait a bit for the new pet bird forum and blogging community - LOL.

I also can’t believe how great the help has been here - and so quick on this site. Glad I stopped lurking and asked.

Thanks all!

Feathered Wonders

I am a PHP and MySQL newbie and found this book to be a great help:

Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySQL Web Development (Elizabeth Naramore, Jason Gerner, Yann Le Scouarnec, Jeremy Stolz, Michael K. Glass)

Even though it is for PHP5 and Dreamhost hasn’t upgraded yet, I haven’t had any trouble with the examples. The book has several good project examples that have helped me create a nifty custom site.

Good luck with your site!