Receive whitelist email only?

Is there a way to get the mail system to deliver to the inbox only email from those on my whitelist. Currently, I get quite a bit of mail in my inbox from those not on my whitelist. Additionally, tons of junk does end up in my junkmail box.

If it’s not on my whitelist, I don’t want it delivered to my inbox.

No, the junk mail filter provided by DH does not offer a whitelist-only option. If you’re unhappy with the filtering, try lowering the threshold values of your filter, but then also carefullh monitor the quarantine list.

If you seriously need a whitelist-only option, you should consider to install your own filtering instead of relying on what DH is offering.

I’m extremely happy with the DH junk mail filtering, but your needs may be very different.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

[quote]If you’re unhappy with the filtering, try lowering the threshold values of your filter, but then also carefullh monitor the quarantine list.

[/quote]

Has anyone tried lowering the quarrantine threshold to zero? I would think that would essentially provide a white-list only option.

I have my thresholds at zero, and it does not give you a whitelist-only. Lots of mails get a zero rating and will pass the filter even without being on the whitelist. In extreeeeeeeeemely rare cases a spam gets through too, but that’s like one in 4.000 messages.

With a zero setting, lots of HAM is caught in the filter and the quarantine list needs to be monitored!

TorbenGB

[quote]I have my thresholds at zero, and it does not give you a whitelist-only. Lots of mails get a zero rating and will pass the filter even without being on the whitelist.

[/quote]

Can’t argue with actual experience… but… such behavior seems to contradict the documentation provided at the bottom of the junk mail settings page, which indicates that:

“The Quarantine Level is the numerical score required to prevent delivery of a message at the server.”

Based on that description, I woud have expected that if the quarantine level is set to zero, and the message score is zero that the message would end up quarantined. Sounds like my expectation would be incorrect.

Just curious, I wonder if a zero score is a “special case”, or if the quarantine level is really the numerical score above which a message is actually quarantined.

Not knowing about the actual implementation of the filter, it would seem that:
IF (spam_score > threshold_value)
THEN quarantine message
ELSE deliver message

so that a zero value would still work. And you can’t set negative values; I’ve tried. That would perhaps set it to whitelist only.

The actual spam scores vary wildly in numerical value. I’ve seen spam rated zero, and some rated 37, but most is in the range of 4 - 10.

TorbenGB