Rebilled automatically. money back?

Hi! I have just came from holidays and found that Dreamhost has put a charge of $119 at my credit card. I’m not interested in the new hosting service, and would like to have the money back. I’ve cancelled the account, but they say that the money is not refundable, and they put me a positive amount of $119 in my account. Has anybody had this situation before?? What did you do?

Kind regards!!

Well, that is what the DreamHost Terms of Service indicates will happen:

“At the end of the contract term, the contract will automatically renew for successive thirty (30) day periods (or three (3) or six (6) or twelve (12) or twenty-four (24) month periods, depending on length of pre-payment) indefinitely until canceled in writing or via the web panel. After the first 97 days a canceled account will be canceled before the next payment is due and no more billing will occur nor will any payment be refunded, even for unused portions.”

That said, DreamHost staff on these forums stated in the past, “We have no intention of holding you here against your will,” and have offered a refund in at least one circumstance of which I am aware. Every circumstance is different, and DH’s actions in that circumstance may not be what they are inclined to do in your situation, but it certianly doesn’t hurt to ask.

If you have asked and were turned down, you might just politely request that your case be re-evaluated, possibly by a supervisor, explaining that you do not wish to continue hosting with DreamHost. It may help you get some pro-rated refund, and it might not help - but you can give it a try! :wink:

–rlparker

They really do not want chargebacks. Credit card companies will charge back “incorrect” charges. Were you incorrectly charged?

I’m not the original poster, but would guess that the OP forgot to cancel the account before the renewal date and that this was a valid, but unfortunate, charge. rlparker has already explicated the small bits of relevant information on similar situations I’ve seen.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options