Really frustrating FTP issue - giving access to two users

Here’s my situation: I have all of my domains under the same ftp account (mine) and until now that’s been fine. Now, I need someone to be able to have ftp access to one of my websites (the root directory of the website), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this without removing my FTP access!!!

I don’t want to give them my account username and password because it has shell access and access to all of my sites. Neither to I want to “move” the domain under their FTP account, because I still need access!

Can anyone help? I’m really frustrated because this should be something that’s really simple (and was, on my previous host…).

Thanks.

I don’t know if I can do that; I have very little experience with SSH.

Is there really no easy way to give a new FTP user access to a website directory? If not, that’s just plain stupid! (no offense… but it is.)

there really is not a good way to do what you are looking for on dreamhost.

Arrg!

I don’t know what to do.

honestly i don’t see why you don’t just put the domain name under a new user and just give this other person the new username and password. its not like you can’t ftp into the account with the new username and password. i don’t get what the big deal is.

Well, I’m not sure what the affects of doing that will be. Would I have to copy all of the sites’ files over to the new FPT user’s folder? How would it affect shell access? I don’t want anyone else to have shell access, but I need it (for doing a few simple things…). Would it affect cron jobs that are scheduled? Etc…

The “big deal” is that (if I remember correctly) other hosts I’ve used have made this a simple process - as it should be. A few clicks to add a new user, specify where they have access, done.

those other hosts probably assign users under each domain and not the other way around like DH does.

you would not need to transfer files no. as far as cron jobs i don’t know as i have never had reason to use them. is there any particular reason why you don’t want this person to have shell access? you say they need access to one of your websites but for what purpose? i’m trying to figure out why you are making this more complicated than it has to be.

Actually the way its done at dreamhost is far more efficient most of the time. TO be honest if you were over at the other host that allowed multiple users on one domain, you would be complaining because you only have access to one domain per user. I don’t know how many domains you have under your user now but your first mentions more than one. At the other host you would have a login for each of those domains.

This is not a dreamhost issue its a unix/linux permissions issue. yes dreamhost made a configuration choice between method A and method B, however their choice happens to be what works best for most.[hr]
Another approach you can take is to set up a complete dev environment with ellipse or netbeans and track changes via subversion. Much more complicated for you to set up and maintain but in the end can solve your problem.

When I change “Run this domain under the user:” the following message appears:

[quote]Move files to the new user?
Unless you’re trying to start this domain over from scratch, you should probably leave this turned on![/quote]

Below that it also says:

So, what happens if I change the user? It sure looks to me like files are going to be moved around, paths messed up, etc…

Occasionally (like now), I’ll have to give FTP access to customer support reps for software I use. I don’t want them to be able to see or edit my nine other websites, or have ftp access. It’s not that I have a reason not to trust them, but I don’t think it’s EVER a good practice to give that sort of control to people I don’t personally know, regardless of how reputable the company is. And I’m not trying to make this complicated! I’m trying to find a simple solution!

So basically you put stuff on there that they will then download and use? Save yourself the stress and use rapidshare or megaupload if you are just wanting to share files. There is dropbox as well that lets you share stuff.

Only other way you would need some sort of script. I primarily use a cms (drupal) for building sites and with the addition of a file managing module imce I can give users their own directory, set filesize limits and that sort of thing and it has a ftp type interface. This way anyone who needs it can access something I have placed in their personal directory and they only have access to that and cannot go mucking around through my website files but that is probably overkill for you. It is better and more convenient all the way around for you to use a file locker type service like the ones I mentioned.

I too need to give a user ftp read only access to my site as I have been hacked and can’t find the file causing the malfunction in my wordpress website. If I change the user of my website, will wordpress get mixed up and malfunction?

laureen, no, not really. The one domain/one user policy keeps things safer in many ways.

You could give the person your user ID/password, but that doesn’t generally feel secure to me either. The other option would be to download all the files and put them on Dropbox (or some other location) where your friend could download and look over the hacked files.

If you wanted to give it a go, cleaning up yourself, I tend to go for the Scorched Earth policy of cleanups. http://halfelf.org/2012/scorched-earth-security/ Kill it with fire.

I would honestly suggest that you create a new user, and let our panel move the domain to that user. Our service will copy everything over exactly as it is under the previous user, and should not cause any issues with your site at all. If it does by some chance, support will be happy to help. You can share the new FTP user/pass combo with your partner (preferably via something more secure than email), and they will still not have access to your DreamHost web panel or your other site directories (as they’re hosted under another user).

There is a way to actually give one shell user access to another (or several), but it’s much more difficult and not recommended from me in this situation if you’re uncomfortable with it:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Sharing_Domain_Files_with_Multiple_Users

[quote=“DH_Cedric, post:14, topic:55849”]
I would honestly suggest that you create a new user, and let our panel move the domain to that user. Our service will copy everything over exactly as it is under the previous user, and should not cause any issues with your site at all. If it does by some chance, support will be happy to help. You can share the new FTP user/pass combo with your partner (preferably via something more secure than email), and they will still not have access to your DreamHost web panel or your other site directories (as they’re hosted under another user).

I have the same problem as my client needs to upload files to his WordPress site via FTP. I’ve just completed the website for this client and don’t want to break it - yet! Can’t afford for it to go down.

I’d like some real assurance that changing the domain user will not break my site.

I’ve found the move domain procedure to be very stable here at DreamHost. You can elect to move it and still retain the files within the old user account – so even if something does screw up; your bases are covered.

Hi sXi,

That’s good to hear. I guess what worries me is I don’t actually understand what is being moved and to where. The warning saying it will affect what user PHP and CGI scripts will run worries me too.

Are you able to shine any light on this.

Thanks

Basically the new user will “own” the files as they will be moved to - and run from within - that new user’s filespace. The user itself will be on your same hosting account (you can have lots of users/domains on your web-hosting account here at DreamHost). You’ll use the new user’s credentials to make alterations to the domain (site) files - for example when using SFTP.