The getid3 project available from sourceforge is absolutely mind-boggling, and does everything you could want on the standard DH server configuration. It consists of many tools including a very capable directory/file explorer, and is as simple to install as moving some files through ftp. Better yet, by simply doing a wget() and extract.
Check it out...
1) Grabbed the install package
2) Unzipped it into my webroot
3) Modified the virtual host entry in my Apache config file
4) Created a local mapping in my HOSTS file
5) Restarted Apache2
6) Set the directory path in demo_browse.php
7) Clicked refresh on my browser and it worked perfectly.
This took a whopping 5-10 minutes, including time to figure out what needed to be done. Steps 3,4 and 5 are eliminated from the DH process though, so it only took about 5-7 minutes to get it working. This thing is absolutely AMAZING! I'd show you my example install, but.... like.... this is for mp3s or whatever.
Download Install: http://sourceforge.net/projects/getid3/
Developer Site: http://www.getid3.org/
Working Demo: http://www.getid3.org/demo/