Re-do website as WordPress

my website www.bodegavision.com was developed by a developer and is broken (can’t upload videos).

I want to do a new one in WordPress and have a parent-child theme ready to go. Here’s the deal, I don’t want to have my website go down while I put the new one together.

Is there a way to upload wordpress and install/customize it before making it go live?

one option I have is to develop it in another domain and move it over to the domain I want, but is that easy to do? Or is there a non-live way to develop it and then switch over to the web address I prefer?

Thanks for your help.

Create is as a subdomain, like sub.example.com (I usually call it beta.example.com)

Once it’s all up and running, you have two choices:

1. Change example.com so it’s no longer Fully Hosted, but is a Mirror of sub.example.com
  2. Use an FTP program and connect to your server and rename your directories: example.com becomes old.example.com ; sub.example.com becomes example.com (this is my preferred method)

Either way, when you’re done, edit your WordPress general settings to reflect the new domain name instead of subdomain name.

Thank you, sdayman! I have a question. After I am done with sub.example.com, and ready to switch to example.com, do I have to do anything with the database? Or does it remains transparent to the move?