rDNS questions

Hi all,

I’m considering coming to DreamHost but I’ve got a couple of questions:

1. Is rDNS lookup enabled for the httpd access logs, or do they show only the numeric IP? If rDNS is not enabled by default, can it be enabled upon request or through the web panel? (I know that Analog can be set to do rDNS when it compiles its stats, but that is internal to Analog - I am asking about Apache doing its own rDNS when it writes the access logs.)

2. Can I enable rDNS for my domain’s IP, for example by adding a PTR entry to the DNS record? (In other words, so that if my IP is 1.2.3.4 and someone does an ‘nslookup 1.2.3.4,’ it returns my hostname.) I assume this requires a Unique IP, but can this be done, or am I stuck with rDNS returning dreamhost.com names even if I purchase a unique IP? (Yes, I know the unique IP isn’t necessarily static, but that doesn’t affect rDNS resolution.)

The reason I ask is that my current provider offers both of these already, even for shared hosting accounts… #2 does require a unique IP, of course, but with the unique IP also comes the rDNS resolution. I am hoping that DreamHost offers the same…

Thanks in advance for your info!

Hi cepheid, welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

The Apache logs only show IP addresses. As for enabling rDNS, I tried adding a HostnameLookups on in .htaccess for one of my domains, but this just resulted in a server error with the error log showing "HostnameLookups not allowed here’.

I am not sure if it is adequate for your purposes, but you could always log-in to the shell and run the logresolve utility over the logs.

I have no idea whether this is possible, even when using a unique IP address. Your best option would be to ask DreamHost themselves using the contact form linked below;

http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost Review)

for 1. :
i don’t use raw httpd logs,
but for stats, you can have hostname, you have to check the box “Enable DNS lookups for numeric IP addresses” on panel>status>site statistics.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

This panel setting will only affect the Analog stats package, not the raw Apache logs.

The original poster specifically stated that he knew that rDNS was an option for Analog, but that he was asking about enabling rDNS for Apache logs.

[color=#0000CC]“I know that Analog can be set to do rDNS when it compiles its stats, but that is internal to Analog - I am asking about Apache doing its own rDNS when it writes the access logs.”[/color]

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost Review)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. I did email DH Support… they’re quite responsive, I might add, especially to someone who’s not even a paying customer. =)

They said that rDNS would not be enabled due to server load concerns, which is understandable since running rDNS for every Apache access could eat up resources… and the option is available in Analog so it’s not really a deal-breaker, thankfully.

(Mark, adding the HostnameLookups wouldn’t work, as you found out, because it is not valid in the .htaccess context; HostnameLookups is valid only in the server, virtual server, and directory contexts.)

DH Support also confirmed that if I were to use a unique IP, rDNS on that IP would properly resolve to my domain, and without me having to set up any PTR records either. =)

So all is well.

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. I wasn’t aware that HostnameLookups wasn’t valid in .htaccess, I guess that explains why it wouldn’t work for me. :slight_smile:

Now that is useful information. I did know that DreamHost supplied unique IP addresses could only be assigned to a single domain, so I guess that makes it a little easier for them to setup the rDNS when the IP is assigned.

Thanks for coming back with the results of your enquiry, it is much appreciated. I am sure it will save others some time in the future.

Mark

You’ll have to ask for this to happen though, it doesn’t happen automatically. Their DNS panel also shows PTR records as a choice, don’t be fooled by that (it would add a PTR record to your domain zone, which is actually worthless in every sense of the word ;). Support handles this quickly, though.