Razor

apps

Spam, Spam, Spam, it needs to go away.

I read about Razor and i find it rather confusing. I am an MCSE and have been invoved with web design and commerce since 1995. I have no questions about my ability to install this app and get it up and running, however the available information is still confusing.

I need to stop spam, does anyone have any suggestions of the easiest and quickest way to do this?

Thanks,

Micah Kritzman
SendMaui, Inc.

[quote]I read about Razor and i find it rather confusing. I am an MCSE and have been invoved with web design and commerce since 1995. I have no questions about my ability to install this app and get it up and running, however the available information is still confusing.

I need to stop spam, does anyone have any suggestions of the easiest and quickest way to do this?[/quote]
Are you trying to install it on your on machine?

DreamHost already has it installed on its mail servers, all you have to do is use the web panel or mailboxes.yourdomain.com to turn Razor filtering on - one mailbox at a time though. Anyways, easiest and quickest way if your mailbox with DreamHost:

1. Browse to http://mailboxes.yourdomain.com/
  2. Login with your e-mail address and mailbox password
  3. Scroll down to “Server Filters” section
  4. Look for “Spam Filters for username@yourdomain.com
  5. Check “Filter spam with Razor”
  6. Choose the how you access the mailbox
  7. Click “Change Spam Settings”

IMAP is the way to go if your POP3 client can’t sort out messages by the ‘X-Razor’ header. It also has the benefit of being able to report a message as spam if it got through and revoking a message if it was thought to be spam.

Other than that, I suggest -

1. Do not use a catch-all address, have the mail server bounce unknown recipients instead.

2. Use HTML entities encoding when putting an e-mail address on a web page
    eg use mailto:gmsamet@

3. Don’t use e-mail addresses on web page, link to a modified “form mail” script instead so that your e-mail address is not sent over the web

4. Set up a procmail filter that drops messages without your “name”, ie
    a. accept To: Anonymous Coward anoncow@domain.com
    b. drop To: anoncow@domain.com

A lot of addresses are picked up by web harvesters which is why atm #2 - #4 seem to work for me. Though this is pointless if a third party lists your address on their web site :frowning: However I did get one of those Nigerian 419 scammers using my web form once. I was dissappointed to find he only wrote two sentences but now I have two netblocks of an African ISP blacklisted by Apache.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

There’s no one solution that works for everyone. I suggest either using a client with built in adaptive filtering, or installing SpamAssassin server-side.