Random White Blank Screen on my PHP

software development

Hi,

The story begin here…We have found a work-around solution to fix a bug related to a short_tag issue: the server was taking the <? tag as a php file instead of my XHTML…

In fact, Dreamhost told us to use a .htacess to overwrite a php command line…in php.ini

It did not work at first so we digged a bit more and
found that outputting the XML would work.

<?php echo'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>'?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" Now we are caught with another issue. All our php files are now working. Except that there are white screens appearing randomly when we navigate our site (php files). We never know when we will fall on a white blank screen. No log error. Fortunatly, in Firefox only, an error message shows up instead of a white blank screen: Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp/sess_877d8d3788eec47c4b696ad6d44e5df9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0 Actually, it's weird because this issue shows only on the Dreamhost server. We tested our sript on 2 different servers and everything has ran well. We have tried to 'Run PHP as CGI'...still buggy...and vice-versa. Any idea ? Thanks for your time, Maxime

I also wanted to disable short PHP tags. The following line in .htaccess in the root directory of my site works fine for me:

php_flag short_open_tag offOther annoying settings that you can turn off the same way are register_globals, magic_quotes_gpc, and display_errors.

Along the same lines, I see a similar blank white page, but it only happens with Internet Explorer, never with Firefox, Safari, Lynx, Opera or my cell phone browser.

A simple refresh with IE and the page will load fine.

I wonder if this is somehow related?

http://nitrous.org/