Rails troubled on crunch?

On crunch, I’m having some trouble.

To begin with, readline seems missing, which makes using irb slightly awkward. But worse, it makes ruby script/console die completely:

ruby script/console development
Loading development environment.
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10:in require': no such file to load -- readline (LoadError) from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10 from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:inrequire’
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in load_modules' from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:ineach’
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in load_modules' from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:21:insetup’
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb.rb:54:in `start’
from /usr/bin/irb:13

Looking around I find that the installation directory for the Ruby setup on this machine is a bit on the mangled looking side. In particular there’s a ruby directory under /usr/lib/ruby (i.e. /usr/lib/ruby/ruby) and readline.so is up there, making for the peculiar path:

/usr/lib/ruby/ruby/1.8/i386-linux/readline.so

This is similar to a problem a lot of the other machines were affected by last week.

Strangely my application works just fine and has worked just fine on alondra for weeks, modulo last week’s excitement. On alondra however the path story is different. The double ‘ruby/ruby’ subpath doesn’t happen and readline is at a more civilized:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux/readline.so

Curiously, ruby is trying to be rooted in /usr/lib on one machine and /usr/local on the other… Why so different I wonder?

On crunch I’m having lots of other problems making my app run, the debugging of which is hampered by lacking the console environment. FastCGI appears to be a non-starter with timeouts of the “premature end of script headers” flavor, and the usual timeout after 120 seconds. Switching to regular CGI I find that connections to my MySQL database can’t be sustained and that drops dead as well. However I can connect to said database using the username and password from my database.yml file using the mysql client. On doing that, the database contents are what I’d expect…

Anybody know if DH can or will just move a hosted account off of a machine to another one? After a few days of chasing this down, with a client deadline now looming less than 48 hours in the future I’m starting to worry that there are enough things on crunch that are insane in the membrane that they’re not going to come together in time… If could get this stuff off of crunch and over to a machine as un-messed up as alondra I’d be thrilled at this point… And who knows that might be faster than whack a mole against the various problems on crunch that are preventing me from even effectively troubleshooting the problems that may be of my own creation… :frowning:

I’m on the same server and I having the same problems as you.

No matter what I seem to do, I get this error when I try to run rake migrate to setup my MySQL tables:

Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT version FROM schema_info

This is driving me nuts - I’ve been trying to work around it all night!