Rails Questions

What version of Ruby on Rails does Dreamhost run?

Is there a list of what gems are available?

Is Dreamhost configured to allow custom versions of Rails from inside the rails app (vendor/rails)?

Never mind about Rails and Gems versions – I discovered rails.dreamhosters.com (should be a link to that on the main rails marketing page!).

So now I have two questions:

1. can I run a custom version of rails from inside a rails app (vendor/rails) – and still use FastCGI?

2. Dreamhost seems to be running ruby 1.8.2. (!) Is there a way I could use my own ruby (1.8.4) – and still use FastCGI?

… and with more digging, it looks like all my questions are answered.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Ruby_on_Rails_Installation
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Rails

Someone really should link to this stuff from the main Rails page on dreamhost.com, though:

http://www.dreamhost.com/panel/features.html#ruby

There’s a link to the wiki there, but it’s a simple Wiki search, and it returns results that aren’t especially clear.

There is a suggestion form in the panel :wink:

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

Between the Dreamhost site, the Wiki and these forums, there is a wealth of info available, its just hard to find sometimes. :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Yup, that’s the only problem – it’s hard to find sometimes. I’m making this suggestion (that Dreamhost put some more specifics in their marketing material, or link to the specifics directly) because although I’m about 95% sure I’m going with Dreamhost, the one problem I had was figuring out if I could go with them. I needed specifics to make the decision, and it would’ve been a better experience for me as a potential customer if I hadn’t had to dig to do basic research.

So, Dreamhost, consider putting a few more specifics in your marketing pages! Exact versions of perl, php, ruby, rails, mysql, etc. and any other info that lets one know what your setup is. You’re running Debian Sarge – I figured that out with a google search – but are you running kernel 2.4 or 2.6? Either is fine but 2.6 is an improvement worthy of notice. Anyway, you get my point. :slight_smile:

The only problem I can see with that is that the information would have to be frequently updated if it is to remain accurate.

My box seems to be running 2.4.29

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Yeah, that’s true. I think they should do it, though. (Other hosting services, while not offering deals as good as this one seems to be, do seem to keep their info up-to-date.

Thanks for the kernel info. I’m going to try and use your promo code when I sign up (not sure if they’ll take it, because I’m pretty sure I’m going for the half-off CodeMonster deal).

The promo should work fine. The promo code discount will be subtracted from the already half price deal on the Codemonster plan, so you save twice :slight_smile:

Just one thing, I think using a promo code restricts you to paying by credit card.