Rails issues

software development

Since the upgrade, my rails app seems to be moving far slower than it used to. I have essentially no traffic on my rails app, but some hits are taking 2+ seconds in production mode. These same pages are about that slow on my home computer in development mode…

Additionally, I seem to have no way to kill old rails processes anymore. I was thinking my old lib/fcgi_handler.rb (put in to combat random 500 errors in 0.13 or 0.12) was a problem, so I removed it, but I can’t restart the server by killing the processes…

Anybody experiencing similar problems?

If anybody else is having this problem, I have discovered something interesting. I still don’t know what’s going on, but even though I’ve explicitly set my environment.rb to tell Rails to be in production mode, it’s not caching code. I just made a quick change to the text of a controller, and it showed up instantly on my site.

If anybody from dreamhost could explain why this is happening, I’d love to know. It certainly does seem to explain my recent slowness quite well.

If, on the other hand, there’s some way I mucked up my rails upgrade to 0.14.3, and caused it to somehow stop caching code, I’d love to know that as well.

Disregard my messages - I figured the issue out after extensive research… in the upgrade process I forgot to edit the new .htaccess file to set up the fastcgi handler…

(I swear I read somewhere that you didn’t need to change it anymore!)

I hope, at the very least, that somebody else finds this information useful. Being stupid is only worthwhile when my stupidity can benefit another.