Rails 3 noob

So…I understand that the default Ruby version on DreamHost is the dinosauric 1.8.7. Having read some other threads, I figured out how to get 1.9.3 on my account, and can confirm via “ruby -v” that that’s the version it’s now running.

I used Gem to install Rails 3.2.

Now…how exactly do I get a site up and running?

I took an introductory Rails course back in the fall, and I also did several tutorials, but the problem is, they all assume that you’re running Rails on your own machine – with no provisions for, say, putting the site ONLINE. And of course the instructions on the wiki are out of date.

What exactly do I need to do? My domain is logthedog.com. The documentation on DreamHost basically says that the “public” directory is the default directory. But if I were to “rails new appname”, then I get a new subdirectory called “appname”…how do I set things up so that after I execute the “rails new appname” command executed that when someone goes to logthedog.com, they get the default welcome screen?

Well…I actually did the wise thing and remembered that before I signed on to DreamHost I contacted support to see if they did indeed support the latest Ruby and the latest Rails…sure enough, I got a reply saying yes, and they gave me several links to help me get started…and I’m getting the “Rails application failed to start correctly” message. As per the documentation, I executed the dispatch.fcgi script and I’m getting an error not covered in the script:

home/scourtn3/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p374/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/cust om_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot load such file -- fcgi (LoadError)
from /home/scourtn3/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p374/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/cus tom_require.rb:36:in `require'
from ./dispatch.fcgi:9:in `<main>'

What does this all mean??? I do have “gem fcgi” in my Gemfile – I did a search and found that that was a possible solution, but that idn’t change things…

And I did contact support yesterday morning but haven’t heard back other than a “sorry we’re taking so long” message…