Quick Question About One-Click Installs

apps

So I’m working as a (n00bish) web developer and finally got myself some hosting. Where I work, we primarily use Wordpress and Joomla for our sites. What I wanted to know is if its possible to use Dreamhosts One-Click installs to set up both CMS’s (obviously at different paths) or if I would have to create separate directories and install them via FTP.

Thanks =)

Yes, it is possible — the DreamHost One-Click Install tool will let you specify separate domains and/or directories for each application. The only restriction we enforce is that an application cannot be installed “inside” another application — this conflicts with the way we manage applications, and will usually just result in a broken application anyway.

righty-o! Thanks for the answer. I already assumed two different applications couldn’t be installed in the same directory because of conflicts. I just wasn’t sure if the One-Click install would overwrite the root directories and didn’t have a chance to read any documentation on it. Thanks again =D

I have a follow-up question: I see that we can install WordPress in a directory within a domain (i.e. www.example.com/blog). Can we also install additional WP blogs, with different databases and themes, in other directories? (i.e. www.example.com/blog1, www.example.com/blog2, etc.)?

Yes.

If the blogs are unlikely to be split to separate domains you might consider using the MultiSite functionality of WP which will allow you to have innumerable separate blogs all running from one base WP installation.

Yes, you can install additional web applications (such as WordPress) in other directories. The only limitation is that you can’t install a web application inside the directory used by another one — for instance, if you had a WordPress install at http://www.example.com/blog, you couldn’t install another one at http://www.example.com/blog/interblag.

Keep in mind that WordPress already has some pretty extensive features to set up multiple sets of different pages within a single site. It should rarely be necessary to install multiple copies of WordPress to a single domain. (And remember that, if you do have multiple installs, you will need to keep them all up to date separately.)

Thank you for the answer about multisites, I need to read up on those. I had looked into parent/child sites, but that seems to not be the same thing, mostly relating to themes.

What I’m mainly curious about, though, is:

a) If I install a multisite network on our Dreamhost domain, will upgrades to that installation appear on every site?
b) Does each site appear unique and separate, with different navigation, than the others?
c) Can I make changes to the theme for one site without affecting the other sites?

Thanks for all the help you are giving me.

a) The main installation is the base for all others – i.e. Central updating from one location.
b) Yes.
c) Yes.

Ipstenu (DreamHost’s resident WP Guru) will be able to give you pro advice for WP if you run into trouble :wink:

Thanks sXi! That’s very helpful. :slight_smile:

Just a note about c, yes you can, but remember if you change the theme’s core files (i.e. what’s in /wp-content/themes/) you change it for everyone :slight_smile: I’ve found there’s a LOT you can do with just CSS, though.