Questions, questions, questions

Greetings - not a knowledgeable user, I need your expertise to answer the following:

1. If I park a domain that is currently fully hosted, does the current domain contents get erased automatically?
  2. If I park a domain that is currently fully hosted, what happens to any email addresses that I have associated with that domain?
    3)Several of the domains I am planning to park currently have blogs on them. Do I need to delete the SQL databases associated with the blog when the domain is parked?
    For this next question, please remember you are dealing with some one who has limited knowledge . . .
  3. If I create a subdomain, where do I see it (where should I expect to find the folder for it’s contents) when I look at my site directory with my FTP applications?
    Thanks very much for your help!

I can’t answer 1-3 with any certainty, but a safe choice would be to rename each domain folder from example.com to example.old. Then create an empty example.com folder and throw a Parked page in there. This will preserve everything you currently have in place. If they’re WordPress blogs, there’s already a Parked Page template you can activate which pretty much does the same thing.

1. A subdomain behaves exactly like a domain. It will show up in the same place as your domains, so in that FTP directory, you’ll see example.com and sub.example.com, as well as your logs and mail directories.

-Scott

Thanks for your help!

[quote]1) If I park a domain that is currently fully hosted, does the current domain contents get erased automatically?

[/quote]

No. The existing files are left intact, but the domain is “pointed” at another directory containing the “parked” files.

[quote]2) If I park a domain that is currently fully hosted, what happens to any email addresses that I have associated with that domain?

[/quote]

They should be unaffected. Parking a domain just affects what shows up when you look at the domain in a web browser.

[quote]3)Several of the domains I am planning to park currently have blogs on them. Do I need to delete the SQL databases associated with the blog when the domain is parked?

[/quote]

Nope.

[quote]4) If I create a subdomain, where do I see it (where should I expect to find the folder for it’s contents) when I look at my site directory with my FTP applications?

[/quote]

As long as you didn’t change the “web directory” field when you created the domain, it should be in a folder with the same name as the subdomain, sitting “alongside” the folder containing the files for your existing domain. In an FTP client, if you start out looking at the files for your existing domain, you should be able to see the containing directory by pressing a “parent directory” button once from here. (The details may depend on what FTP program you’re using.)

If you changed the value of the “web directory” field, the files for the subdomain will go in the location you specified.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!