Questions from phpBB Install

hi

i am in the middle of setting up the phpBB forum (the page title is “Welcome to phpBB 2 Installation”). i figure it’s probably better to check my config. than improvise and have to fix a screw-up.

SECTION 1, Basic Config., going with the defaults.
Default board language: English
Database Type: MySQL 3.x
Choose your installation method: Install

SECTION 2, Database Config.

? ==> Database Server Hostname / DSN: localhost (go with the default ?)

Your Database Name: same name i gave it a day or two ago

Database Username: same name i gave it a day or two ago

Database Password: OK, i can handle this. SuperCaliFragilisticExpialidotious.
that’s from one of Julie Andrews’ movies.

? ==> Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_ (go with the default ?)

SECTION 3, Admin. Config.

Admin Email Address: for security reasons, is it better not to post it ?.
Domain Name: this is between me and the electrons in the computer ?
Server Port: 80 ~ default
Script path: /forum/ ~ default
Administrator Username: note, by adding “sysadmin” to the variable, i can actually interpret my notes from the other day ! :slight_smile:
Administrator Password: nc
Administrator Password: nc

well, i’m about to hit “start install”. i’m interested in your professional evaluation of my set-up config.

Thanks !

This is very distracting
http://www.surfspot.com/media/billabong/billabong_wmv.html?q=m
the Pipe Masters

DreamHost uses MySQL 5 (If that option is not available, choose 4)

That won’t work on DreamHost; you need to give it the name of the database host indicated in the Control Panel where you created your database (often mysql.yourdomain.tld)

The rest of it looks fine. :wink:

–rlparker

the domain name being wwswimming.com, when you say “often mysql.yourdomain.tld”, do you mean

Database Server Hostname / DSN: mysql.wwswimming.com

or

mysql.wwswimming.com.tld

or

mysql.wwswimming.tld

?

i don’t know what ‘tld’ means.

Thanks for the help with the SQL question. with Dreamhost, the next option below “MySQL 3.x” is “MySQL 4.x/5.x”, so i set it for that.

[quote]the domain name being wwswimming.com, when you say “often mysql.yourdomain.tld”, do you mean

Database Server Hostname / DSN: mysql.wwswimming.com

or … i don’t know what ‘tld’ means.[/quote]
Ooops! I’m sorry for the confusion. “tld” refers to a “top level domain”, such as .com, .net, .org, etc., and was just used in the example “yourdomain.tld” to indicate “your domain name”, followed by a period, followed by “whatever top level domain” your domain is in.

If your database host as indicated in the Control Panel is “mysql.wwswimming.com” then that is what you should use in that field in the installation dialog (just as if it had been “mysql.somethingelse.net”, then that is what you should use). :wink:

–rlparker

tld is a shorthand most people use for Top Level Domain. This way people do not need to list off .com, .net, .org, ect. In your case it appears this would be ‘.com’ for your domain.

To find out the exact name of the database host go to your web panel (https://panel.dreamhost.com) and it should be found under Goodies -> Manage MySQL and use one hostnames you have defined (they are all interchangeable).