Questions about service

hi,
i will explain all that i need for best understanding

i planning with me team to creat some comercial sites, one of them will be
like youtube with many videos, and for that reason i searching for a
host/server to manage with that kind of content.

Question 1.
i buy a .pt domain and for what i understand some hosts don´t want or can´t
acept pt domains and why? i dont know…
like this domain for example: www.teste.pt and i need to know if with your
host there is any problem to point a dns of a pt domain to a account.

Question 2.
with a account of reseller if there is any can i sell sub domains with diferent domains but
using the same host? sharing the size of each one?
or i must buy separate hosts for each client? because many of them will only
need 100mb of space or less…

Question 3.
Do you have a cpanel demo?
your e-mail service can provide the auto replay or redirect any mail to sms?
and pop/smtp and web mail?

Question 4.
if i buy a account you offer a domain but can i use sub-domains for other
persons with the same domain and diferent one?
the domain is free for a year and in next year i will be charged if yes what
price?

Question 5.
your server suports Zend enconder?

Question 6.
do you have a link or pdf with all the conditions of your service? ( i
search in your site but withou result )

sorry for long questions but i really need to know all this things before
buy a service that i have intension to use for a long time and for all my
clients.

thanks a lot for your help
Bruno

“Many videos” doesn’t really say a lot about the level of usage you anticipate - it is very easy for such a site (particularly a “Youtube” style site) to overwhelm low cost shared hosting services - a dedicated server may be more appropriate for this use.

[quote]Question 1.
i buy a .pt domain and for what i understand some hosts don´t want or can´t acept pt domains and why? i dont know… like this domain for example: www.teste.pt and i need to know if with your host there is any problem to point a dns of a pt domain to a account. [/quote]
Dreamhost [doesn’t register .pt domains, but if your registrar allows you to use DreamHost nameservers you should have no problem hosting such a site on DreamHost. Note that, since they cannot register a .pt domain, you would have to use some other Domain that DH can register to avail yourself of the “free domain” that comes with each plan.

[quote]Question 2.
with a account of reseller if there is any can i sell sub omains with diferent domains but using the same host? sharing the size of each one? or i must buy separate hosts for each client? because many of them will only need 100mb of space or less…[/quote]
All DreamHost plans provide for unlimited “free” subdomain hosting, though the number of users/mailboxes is different from plan to plan. You may re-sell hosting, but you have to manage all that yourself, as DH provides no reseller management tools. You can limit the amount of space by user, not by domain. Note that you will be responsible for complying with all DreamHost Terms of Service and policies even if you re-sell space to others - it is still (your account, and you will be responsible for the actions of any users you host under your account.

[quote]Question 3.
Do you have a cpanel demo? your e-mail service can provide the auto replay or redirect any mail to sms? and pop/smtp and web mail? [/quote]
DreamHost does not use cpanel, but uses a proprietary custom Control Panel. There is no “demo” , but you can see what it looks like by exploring wiki.dreamHost.com, or signing up for a webId from the main dreamHost.com site.

You can forward email. Yes you have POP/smtp and webmail.

[quote]Question 4.
if i buy a account you offer a domain but can i use sub-domains for other persons with the same domain and diferent one? the domain is free for a year and in next year i will be charged if yes what price?[/quote]
I have no idea what you are asking here. You can host any domain , or subdomain, here if you can properly point DNS to it (see your registrar) You can also host sub-domains here even if the domainis registered somewhere else. You cannot register a .pt domain, but you can register a domain for which DH is a registrar, and it will be free as long as you maintain the hosting plan.

[quote]Question 5.
your server suports Zend enconder?[/quote]
Zend optimizer is supported.

[quote]Question 6.
do you have a link or pdf with all the conditions of your service? ( in search in your site but withou result )[/quote]
You are kidding, right? http://dreamhost.com/ - and look at the bottom of the page, where you will find links for TOS, Anti-Spam policy, and Privacy Policy. Also check out http://abuse.dreamhost.com.

–rlparker

First, this is a customer-to-customer forums, so please understand that we cannot provide you with answers to your questions as DreamHost employees - as we are not employees of DreamHost.

Edit: I see rlparker beat me (damn robots in disguise! :stuck_out_tongue: ), but you’re welcome to read the rest of what I’ve posted here as well.

Secondly - if you plan to resell your account, I strongly suggest finding a host that offers you specifically such features. While DreamHost does indeed allow you to resell, you are still responsible for the customers you’ve resold to. If a customer is hosting a warez site and DreamHost recieves a CAD/DMCA letter - your account and all of the subdomains/domains under it will be shutdown permanently.
I’m pretty sure there are other hosts out there that do not have such a policy and will infact work with you to allow you to continue reselling without shutting down your entire account. That said, those hosts (from my limited experience) are usually setup to specifically allow reselling, where DreamHost really isn’t setup for it specifically, though they do certainly allow it. :slight_smile:

Now for your questions…
1. Yes, you can host a .pt domain here so long as you are not going to use DreamHost as your registrar (to register the domain(s)). You’ll need to register your domains elsewhere, but you can certainly host their content here.
2. There are no specific reseller accounts. You can setup user accounts under your own account to allow your clients to use whatever space you give to them (basically, you can modify their userspace size anywhere between 0 megs and the maximum size of your plan (200gig or whatever). You don’t need to buy a separate account for each person, which I believe is also against DreamHost’s TOS.

3. There is no demo, but you can create a webid without purchasing a plan to see what it looks like. There’s also a screenshot of the panel on wikipedia.
No idea about redirecting to SMS… but they do offer pop3/smtp/imap and webmail.

4. Yes, you can host unlimited domains/sub-domains with DreamHost. You can find the pricing scheme on the main website www.dreamhost.com. Clearly you were too lazy to get that far, or even notice the TOS link at the very bottom of the main page, so you can find that information out yourself.

5. I’m quite positive they does, yes. Though you’d probably have to install it yourself, amongst other things in order for it to work.

6 Again, this information is provided on the main page of their website, right at the very bottom left. You can’t miss it.

To end this - I strongly encourage you to find a hosting provider that offers plans specifically for resellers. DreamHost, as far as I’m aware, does not offer such specific plans and therefore you’re pretty much left on your own to figure things out.
Good luck all the same :wink:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

First of all this forum is for customers,we can only tell you what we know. To get best response you should email dreamhost support.
http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

1. If you register your domain with other registar and just park it at dreamhost , I don’t think you will have any problems with it

2)there is no reseller account. However you can give acess to manage domains on your account and to acess ftp and other services.
You can have up to 75 users.

3)There is no cpanel, dreamhost has developed it’s own panel, in my opinion it’s even better.
As with mail there is autoresponder, I don’t think you can redirect mail to sms(you would have to use external service)

4)You can park unlimited domains, you get one free for each year you are with dreamhost, if you want to register another one it’s 9.95/year (com,net,org,info )

5)yes

6)check here:
http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html
http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting-features.html
http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html

Get green hosting : (pay yearly and get 97$ discount)
http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?274187/signup|HOMP

hi,
thanks for the help of everyone :slight_smile:
when i say this is for resell i mean that my team will design and creat a site of each person but
all they will not post any ilegal content because we manage the content of the site for them, they only want their space on the internet :slight_smile: just all
i just want know if is no problem to do that but like i read its ok but is a risk for me because i must control all the content, thats ok for me :slight_smile:
i talking to the company who register the .pt domain and he have very stupid laws and other things that i must do know if this server have:
They say that the server must have a primary and secundary name server i think that this is no problem the host have the dns 1 and 2 right?
they say to that the server must have defined with the parameters by:
RFC 819, 920, 874, 1032 a 1035 e 1101

thanks once again for your help :slight_smile:

thanks for the help of all

i have one more question
there is possibly and how can i creat a custum dns
example:

ns1.anynamethatwant.com direct do ->ns1.dreamhost.com 66.33.206.206

ns2.anynamethatwant.com -> ns2.dreamhost.com 208.96.10.221

ns3.anynamethatwant.com -> ns3.dreamhost.com 66.33.216.216

thanks a lot for your help

I think it is done in your domain registrar site. What is your registrar ?

[b]$97 OFF with [color=#CC0000]LUCKYYOU[/color] promo code SIGN UP NOW

If your registrar is Dreamhost then you can do it that way.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all plans by using promo code: SRVR97. More Here

Uh, folks, I think the OP wants to try to run his own nameservers - either in reality or at least just in appearance. It’s not clear to me from your answers that you interpreted his question correctly.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options