Questions about E-mail Hosting

Back in '99 I set up e-mail accounts for every member of my family under a common domain name using, what was then, a reasonable priced hosting company. Everything worked flawlessly the entire time, and though their prices never came down with the rest of the industry, they weren’t outrageous, either.

Unfortunately, they’re transitioning to a new server in the next few weeks which will require me to recreate my family member’s e-mail accounts. I’ll also have to recreate all of the hundreds of aliases I use. Since I’m going to have to reconfigure everything anyway, I thought now might be a good time to switch hosting companies, but before I do, I want to make sure it can be done with the least amount of hassle.

I’ve a small family without out a strong procreation gene, so most of the users are over the age of 65. I really don’t want to have to provide tech support for OSes and mail clients that I have no experience with. In addition, while I consider myself extremely computer literate, I really don’t have a workable understanding of how the tubes on the interwebs work.*

So, with that lengthy preface out of the way, what I need from a new e-mail provider (and I do mean just e-mail. I’ve no need at this point to host a website), is a service that uses the same protocols for sending and receiving messages as my current host so that as soon as the domain resolves to the new host, my family’s e-mail clients seamlessly check the new mailboxes without having to change any preferences. Currently, the settings are as follows:

Incoming Mail Server: mail.doman.com
User Name: name@domain.com (or name%domain.com)
Password: •••••••••

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.domain.com
Authentication: Password

Also, I’ve a couple other administration-type questions:

1. Is there any way to mass-create aliases?
  2. How large can each individual mail box be?
  3. Step-by-step, what would I have to do to transfer my domain to Dreamhost?
  4. How long should it take?

Thanks.

*Over the years, I’d get the occasional call from a family member saying they were having a problem with their e-mail and ask if I’d look into it. I’d assure them I’d get right on it, but knowing nothing of what could be causing the issue or how to resolve it, I would actually do nothing. The problem would always seem to work itself out, and I’d get all the credit.

[quote]Incoming Mail Server: mail.doman.com

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.domain.com
Authentication: Password
Password: •••••••••[/quote]
And I think DH’s pop/smtp mail settings are full compliant with your current ones.

No, you have to create it one by one. But you can mass-create forwarding emails in [bold]Bulk-Edit Forwarding-Only Addresses[/bold] option. But I believe that is not what you want or need.

Can be as large as your remaining hosting account’s disk space.

From your current registrar
a. Unlock your domain
b. Get your auth key

From DH web panel (of course… after you register and get account activated)
a. Goto your domain transfer section in your web panel
b. Enter your domain in [bold]Transfer a registration to us:[/bold] field and submit it
c. Enter your [bold]Transfer Auth Code:[/bold]
d. Enter your [bold]Whois preference:[/bold] detail
e. Pay for it
f. Waiting for transfer acceptance

For the transfer ? Hm… From my experience it usually takes about 1 to 3 days for me.

Hope these answers helps.

[b]$77+1domain=SIGN UP with 77PLUS1DOMAIN or MAKEIT97 for $97 OFF

The login details are the same for DH email so that won’t be a problem.

I don’t think it is possible to mass create aliases without recreating them all.

Each mailbox can be set to whatever size you want up to the total hosting amount you have.

The best thing to do could be to add the domain to dreamhost in the panel before transferring and set up the email addresses (it won’t work through DH till you transfer but you can still set everything up). This should allow you to set everything up in advance so when you transfer or redirect the domain everythings set up in advance.

$97 DISCOUNT with [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color]
More codes

Thanks for the quick responses. One more question:

Will entering mail.domain.com in the users’ location bar in their browser take them directly to their online webmail?

Will entering mail.domain.com in the users’ location bar in their browser take them directly to their online webmail?

Instead, webmail.domain.com will take them there. If you prefer, it is possible to add a CNAME record on mail.domain.com which has the value of webmail.domain.com.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes

No, but entering “http://webmail.domain.tldwill take them directly to their online webmail! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

[quote]Will entering mail.domain.com in the users’ location bar in their browser take them directly to their online webmail?

[/quote]

Others say no, but I try and it works. Also webmail.domain.com works the same. Maybe it is a new feature, or I am lucky.

Ah… I think it is a new feature. It wasn’t there before, I’ve tried it also and it works !

Thanks for the info khalq :wink:

[b]$77+1domain=SIGN UP with 77PLUS1DOMAIN or MAKEIT97 for $97 OFF

Maybe it’s both! :wink: it does not work on any of my domains; maybe I’m just unlucky!

–rlparker

Thanks everyone for all the quick responses.