Question regarding permissions

Hi,

I’m a newbie to Unix but learning a lot as I encounter problems. As I have somehow locked myself out of ftp by opening too many sessions (see 3 posts back), I have tried to get access through ftp using a different user without success.

This is output from ls -h regarding two directories:
drwxrwxr-x 3 me pg2150028 4096 2009-05-10 03:51 clients
drwxrwxr-x 53 me pg2150028 4096 2009-06-05 09:40 properties

I created a new user (lila555) through the webpanel which was automatically put in the group.

Nevertheless, through ftp, lila555 cannot see the directory “clients” nor any of the directories in “properties” even though the rights are identical to the above listing.

I’m assuming .htaccess has nothing to do with this as it solely affects a directory listing request from http.

Any thoughts?

FTP locks the user into their own sandbox (their home directory). Though your users are in the same group, permission-wise, they do not share the same home directory.

You would be much better off using SFTP. It’s more secure and you won’t have these FTP sessions problems. Be sure to enable SFTP/SSH for that user in the panel under Users -> Manage Users and then Edit that user. Filezilla, which is free, supports SFTP, as do many FTP clients.

-Scott

Thanks. FTP is special. That explains why I could see things in the SFTP client that comes with AbsoluteTelnet which is very limited in capabilities although it transfers fine. I think I crashed the server yesterday trying to drag and drop a transfer of the .htaccess file to my local drive.

I’ll try Filezilla.