Question before I sign up

I’m fairly new to having my own domain, and the only reason I have it is for a Coppermine Photo Gallery. I’m currently hosted with Assertive Host, but I don’t like it very much so a friend suggested DreamHost. I guess my question is, does anyone know if it’s possible to transfer my domain without losing my gallery and having to re-upload everything? I have over 1,000 pictures, and if I’m going to lose them all I just might as well quit all together. I’ve never transferred it before, so I don’t really know how it works. Anyway, if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated! thanks! :slight_smile:
-Lynn

short answer is no. If you move your domain to another server you will have to re-upload all those images, or copy them through the web.

You could make a back-up of your Coppermine gallery, yourimages.tar.zip, that would save time.

darn…that’s what I was afraid of. thanks though:)

If you’re up for a bit of learning it wouldn’t be to hard to transfer your files, or an archive directly between hosts. That way instead of having to wait on your connection speed, your could make use of the super high speed connections your hosts have. You’d need to log into shell - similiar to a windows command prompt (using a program like putty) and then issue some commands to pull the files over.

You can do the same thing for a mysql database if you want.

If you are interested let me know and I’ll give through directions.

-Matttail

I would like to know how to transfer my files if it’s not too hard…
how would I have an archive between the hosts? would I have to keep both of the hosts as well? I am interested, just confused. lol As I said, I dont know too much about it… just enough to be dangerous lol

Rather than start a new thread, I’m posting here as this discussion pertains to my situation as well.

I currently have 5 domains registered and hosted with one hosting company, and 1 domain registered and hosted with another.

I’m thinking of transferring all 6 accounts to DreamHost. With a DH “unlimited” plan I would save money on hosting, and I could finally consolidate everything in one place.

However, it makes my head swim to think about how and in what order to transfer the registrations, hosting, and files. I know these issues are addressed in different places on the DreamHost site, but it would be helpful if someone from DH, or an experienced user, could outline for me the most appropriate sequence of actions I should take. Like:

1. Sign up for a hosting account with DH (I guess this has to go before anything else).

2. Transfer the domain registration … or the hosting??? (And who all do I notify or instruct, and how?)

3. Transfer registration or hosting – whichever is left to do after step 2. (And who do I notify, etc.?). ???

4. Transfer my files from one host to the other. Or should this be done earlier? I could end up having duplicate file sets residing at two hosts for a time, but I guess this doesn’t matter since the domain name is going to point to either one set or the other.

If someone could clarify all this for me and help me sequence it correctly, I would be grateful.

As others have mentioned, you can copy everything over here a few different ways.

Depending on your current host’s setup, there could be a backup feature in their panel that makes the process easier for you.

You can also make sure your site is up and running here before you cancel your old account by following these directions in the wiki.

That way, if you miss anything, you can still figure it out and get what you need from your old host. Plus, you won’t have to worry about downtime if you run into any problems.

Also, even though uploading & downloading can be a pain, you should still back it all up to your computer anway–even though DH does their own backups. You’ll never hear anyone say, “I just lost two weeks worth of work because I made too many backups.” :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

You don’t have to actually change where your domains are registered, unless you want to. I don’t think it’s going to seem nearly as hard as you’re picturing it. :wink:

First, you would sign up with DH. Next, just start adding your domains through the control panel, which will give you a feel of how things work here. No need to rush things–just start with one domain and see how it goes.

See this wiki article for testing your site before you point your domains to DH’s name servers. Don’t forget to setup any email addresses that you have at the old host.

Once everything is setup here the way you want it, all you need to do is log into your account(s) where the domains are registered and change your name servers to: ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com.

Where you’re hosted now, or where your names are registered, shouldn’t matter unless you have them registered with a host that wants to make leaving hard–but as long as you’re listed as the registrant, you should be okay.

If you’re unsure about whose name the domain’s in, you can look it up at sites like Whois.sc, Network Solutions, etc…

Were you set on using the free domain registration for one that you already have? If not, pick a new domain and play with that to get used to things, then start transferring your others here once you’re used to how things are setup here. You can never have too many domains! :slight_smile:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

Thanks! Your reply is very helpful.

Sounds like I could change the domain registration later rather than sooner … or simply not all. However, I think for consolidation purposes I would like to eventually bring everything together under one host.

[quote]First, you would sign up with DH. Next, just start adding your domains through the control panel, which will give you a feel of how things work here. …

See this wiki article for testing your site before you point your domains to DH’s name servers.[/quote]
I didn’t know that I would even be able to see my site (for testing/previewing) without already having a domain name pointing to it. I’ll read the wiki article to see if it clears up my confusion on this point.

Does this mean that my old host will automatically stop rebilling me for hosting, or do I have to take action to cancel my registration with them (aside from re-directing where the domains point)? Or maybe this depends on their particular policies.

Good idea.

Again, thanks. You’ve helped me to sort things out better in my mind and although I have a few more questions, this will get me started.

– Steve

It looks like you have gotten good information and, while it might seem daunting at first, I think you will find your life/webmastering duties greatly simplified when you get all your hosting “under one roof”.

Itis a lot easier to manage this stuff when you can rely upon a consistent hosting environment where you get used to using the same tools, etc.

One clarification, though, might be of help to you:

[quote]Does this mean that my old host will automatically stop rebilling me for hosting, or do I have to take action to cancel my registration with them (aside from re-directing where the domains point)? Or maybe this depends on their particular policies.
[/quote]
It’s important to differentiate between hosting and domain registration. Moving one does not necessaruly mean you have to move the other. How your previous host bills you is subject to your agreement with them. If you had a “package” whyich included hosting and registration, things might get complicated. Other than that, there is no reason why you could not choose to leave your registrations with another registrar and simply host with DH.

If you choose to do that, you will need to list the DH nameservers (ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com) as your domains nameservers with the other registrar. How you do this will depend on the registrars system/control panel.etc.

In other words, you do not have to “take action to cancel your registration with them” unless you want to change registrars and hosting services.

Many users here at dreamhost keep their domains registered with other registrars, but host here. The two can go together, but it is certainly not mandatory. Does that make any sense?

–rlparker

Thanks again.

I’m billed separately for hosting and registration. However, I signed up for automatic renewal for both (they just automatically bill to my credit card). I’m hoping and assuming there’s a place in my account set-up with them where I can stop the auto-renewal for the hosting.

A slight, related complication is that my 6 accounts all have different renewal dates. I might have nearly two years still to go on one or two of them! But I think the previous advice about bringing them over one at a time is good.

The way I figure it, there would be a transition period during which I would be paying more in total for my existing web sites, but eventually the cost would decrease as I got them all over to DH and the hosting ran out elsewhere. But even the temporary increased cost would be offset in a way, as I start brand new sites under DH’s unlimited plan rather than at other companies where I am charged separately for every domain hosted.

It might be worth contacting your previous hosting company and asking about cancelling the accounts. Some companies (not many unfortunately) will provide a pro-rata refund for the unused period.

I know the odds are against this, but it is worth asking.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Hello again.

Well, I took the plunge and signed up for a DreamHost account this evening (wish I had remembered that some people here were offering promo codes and saved some $$$).

I cancelled two of the hosting accounts at one of my other hosts and requested that they point the domains to DH. (I’m keeping the domain registrations at the old places for the time being.)

At my old hosts, I changed the nameserver information for those two domains to ns1.domainhost.com, ns2domain.host.com and ns3.domain.com. I now see in the DH help files that there are also some (IP?) numbers associated with those nameservers.

The question I have is: Do I need to include those numbers as part of the changed nameserver information that I gave to my old host? Or is ns1domain.host.com, etc., sufficient? Neither the instructions at my old host nor the information at DH makes this very clear.

Thanks.

Steve

Oops. That’s what I meant – dreamhost.com (not domainhost.com). I’ll definitely go back and make sure that’s what I put, though.

But I don’t need the numbers, looks like.

Thanks.