Question about transfering hosting away from DH

My new hosting site said that I have to update the “A” record with the new
IP address. But the Dreamhost panel says that the “A” record in non-editable.

Will DH let me keep them as a DNS host and do the hosting somewhere else?
or do I need to get a new registrar too (who will give me access to a DNS zone)?

Yes, you can retain DreamHost as your registrar :slight_smile:

You can set the domain to be “DNS Only” here and will then be able to easily apply your new host’s DNS servers.

Panel > Domains > Manage Domains

• Click Edit next to the domain you are moving.

• Scroll to the bottom and click Host DNS Only!

After the change has taken effect, go back to Panel > Domains > Manage Domains

• Click DNS below the domain name

• Fill in the fields below Change [domain]'s whois nameservers entering your new hosts DNS servers.

• Click Set these nameservers for [domain] !

DNS Propagation will take a few hours, after which your browser should take you to your new home.

Sorry to see you leaving under such unfortunate circumstances :frowning:

Thanks, sXi!

Now when try to access my website (www.madeinslant.com) I get:

Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

Any ideas???

Yep :slight_smile:

If you’ve only just done it you’ll need to wait for DNS propagation to complete (give it half a day).

If you did it ages ago you might want to check and repeat the second part (the bit about DNS below the domain name).

Rose, I just replied to your submitted ticket! At first glance, it looked like it might be a DNS propagation issue, as sXi mentioned. We took a closer look though – as I wasn’t seeing the “bad_http_conf” error anymore – and you seem to be missing your custom A record. You can reply to the email I sent if you have any questions or concerns about this, of course. We’ll be happy to dig a little deeper if you continue to have issues. :slight_smile: