Question about subdomains and DNS

Hi all,

I currently have a domain (www.example.com) registered and hosted with DH. I’d like to create a subdomain (sub.example.com) but host it’s content elsewhere. I’m thinking I could create the subdomain within DH control panel and then point the DNS to the target server. Is this possible? Can I host the top-level domain with DH but point the sub-domain to another host?

Also, can I do this the reverse way. That is, can I create a sub-domain for a domain I have set up through another registrar (sub.anotherexample.com) and point the DNS to my DH server? If so, can the DNS target a sub-domain or nested directory within my DH hosted account (i.e. sub.anotherexample.com [handled through a registrar other than DH] would point to the files stored in sub.example.com [a domain hosted with DH]), or must it target an IP and thus a top-level domain. If it needs to target an IP, does this IP need to be static? If static, can I do this with the basic DH hosting plan?

Along these lines, if I needed to point a sub-domain that was handled by a registrar other than DH to a site hosted with DH, could I just create a new Level 1 acct. with DH and point my sub-domains DNS to this box that hosts this acct.?

I see this article in the wiki (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Host_a_subdomain_on_DreamHost_when_DNS_is_controlled_elsewhere) but am unsure about it as it says I must host domain.com with DH to host sub.domain.com with DH… but isn’t the whole point to have domain.com hosted elsewhere while I host sub.domain.com on DH and have and external DNS point to my DH subdomain?

Sorry if I am confusing.

Thanks.

In the original wiki article, since you didn’t actually point the domain to dreamhost, it will still end up being hosted elsewhere.

I went and edited that wiki article to add a step where you

“Delete the web hosting for domain.com via the Domains/Manage Domains page on the panel. Only delete the hosting, don’t delete the domain.”

This makes it very clear that you’ve only added the domain at DreamHost purely to enable you to add and host the subdomain.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

[quote]I went and edited that wiki article to add a step where you:

“Delete the web hosting for domain.com via the Domains/Manage Domains page on the panel. Only delete the hosting, don’t delete the domain.”[/quote]
That was a good catch, and a valuable addition to the DH wiki. I’m sure it will help many others who are attempting to do this and run into problems! Thanks, from all of us, for jumping right in and “fixing” it; that’s what makes a wiki “work”, and what makes the DH wiki such a valuable resource! Rock on! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Thanks. As a result of digging through the forums/wiki, your help, and a timely response from DH customer service, I got something up and running.

Good job with the wiki too. It was confusing at first because I didn’t realize that adding the top-level was just a technicality that enables one to add the sub-domain. Once that was understood everything fit together.

Lensman, thanks for replying to my other post as well. If the IP is relatively static than everything should be ok. :wink:

btw, is anyone else’s cpanel down right now (1:45 am eastern)?

[quote]btw, is anyone else’s cpanel down right now (1:45 am eastern)?

[/quote]

WFM, but they’ve been working on it lately.

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2007/05/14/panel-slowness-2/

You’re not on Espresso? http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2007/05/17/replacing-hardware-on-espresso/

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

Anytime, thelorax!

My panel is up as of 2:30 am eastern. I’m in the spacey cluster on the monster server.

BTW, I loved that story as a child. So sad. Though I especially liked the end where there’s the one seed left.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I’m on crackerjack… it’s up now though… thx.