Question about new "Happy Hosting" plan

I took the plunge and switched to Happy Hosting. My bandwidth allotment fell down to around 7 TB, though I don’t think I’ve ever even used 1 TB of it. I lost the callbacks, but never used 'em anyway (would prefer to never use a phone for anything, anyway).

However, since I was already prepaid through January, I got a credit to my account for switching to the new plan – don’t have to a pay a cent through to March or something. Thanks, DreamHost!

Reminder: when you upgrade your account, you actually renew your account. And you need to pay pro-rated charges assigned to your account after you
ended your previous hosting plan.

For example, you already have a one year plan $119.40/yr. You have had the account for half year. You have $59.70 left in your account. When you upgrade to 1 year happy plan $119.40, you need to play $59.40 to make a full one year plan.

Of course you can use your rewards to pay it.

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

That’s exactly why I updated to monthly Happy Hosting. Whatever was left from my old plan was more than enough to cover this month & the next several, and it all works out to be cheaper per month than my old plan anyway. I couldn’t afford at this time to make the switch & continue prepaid, but will likely buy up a year or three during the next round of bonuses at work.

You are smart.

I did not know that when I upgraded my plan.

Now I am looking for somebody to share the account with me. :frowning:

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Can you not still switch to monthly? I thought payment plans could be changed at anytime. Although, I guess if the money is already locked into your DreamHost account, switching would do little good. :\

It definitely seems that there should be a confirmation screen that lays out exactly what will change if you make a switch in your plans – financially & in terms of features!

If you just recently changed your plan and weren’t aware of the financial outlay, you might try contacting support about switching back. At least one person posting here has had some success in switching back to their old plan.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thanks for the info everyone. My plan started as “Crazy Domain Insane” back in 2005 and currently shows a total bandwidth of 5272GB. (Starting 4096, grows 40GB/week, growth so far +1176GB).

I assume this total of 5272 is the doubled amount referenced in the newsletter. When I first read it I jumped online to check, but I was unable to tell if the 5272GB was the new doubled amount, if it was going to jump up to 10TB+.

I’m still not 100% sure, but as others have said I only currently use less then 10% of that anyway. But more is always better.

Thanks again… Take care~

I just switched from a one-month old code monster plan (with no coupons used) to happy hosting prepaid yearly, now I have $245 in my account.

Can I use this money to add another hosting plan? It is extremely difficult for me to find a way to open another account, and I’m no webhosting noob…

Also, my bandwidth and harddisk changed from 3000/300GB to 4000/400GB, instead of 5000/500GB. Is that normal due to the 1024/1000 bytes thind and rounding off? lol

[quote]I just switched from a one-month old code monster plan (with no coupons used) to happy hosting prepaid yearly, now I have $245 in my account.

Can I use this money to add another hosting plan? It is extremely difficult for me to find a way to open another account, and I’m no webhosting noob…

Also, my bandwidth and harddisk changed from 3000/300GB to 4000/400GB, instead of 5000/500GB. Is that normal due to the 1024/1000 bytes thind and rounding off? lol[/quote]
Why don’t you just buy up a two or three year prepaid Happy Hosting plan? It’s most unlikely that you actually need another hosting plan and you’ll get a better discount by buying up for longer.

The disk and bandwidth you’re quoting does sound fishy. Where on the panel are you seeing that? On the Status>Bandwidth Usage and Status>Disk Usage or on the Billing>Manage Account page?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

One more question… Do they leave you on your current server? Do you think they would switch people around? I only ask becuase the server I’m on is very good (load times usually 2.0 - 4.0) and would hate to have converting to the new plan trigger a move. I ask this becuase I know I read -somewhere- (can’t remember exactly–perhaps in a wiki) that users who pay a higher amount (L3+) generally get placed on less crowded servers. If that’s still the case, I’ll certainly keep my L3 plan!

Yes, they will leave you where you are. Converting to a new plan does not trigger a move. Adding DreamHost PS service would trigger a move.

At least I am still in the server when I switched to happy hosting plan.

I think you will stay in the same server as long as the server has enough space for all the users. If, unfortunately, all the users switch to happy hosting plan in a server, I’m sure the server will run out of space and somebody will be moved to another server.

You don’t even have to worry about this happening. DreamHost doesn’t actually reserve 500GB of disk space (or whatever your current limit is) for every user, they just reserve a margin over what their users are currently using and are prepared to expand capacity at any time.

Besides, we’re all NFS mounted so all the machines in your cluster share the same NFS user partition. Well, not exactly but at any rate a number of different servers do share the same partitions, so moving servers doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with moving disk space. If you move to different cluster that’s another thing.

For the diskspace, as noted, it’s not on your specific server, but rather on NFS-mounted NAS-solutions. They sometimes move you from one storage cluster to another (I recently had my files moved from one to another), but usually you don’t even notice that. Moving webservers is a bit hairier and harder, but not THAT big of a deal, either – especially if you have a dedicated IP.

Also don’t forget that simply switching to Happy Hosting does nothing to what you currently are using space- and resources wise. It takes most people a long time to transfer a couple hundred gigabytes of data to DH (or even come up with that data in the first place), it’s not as if there are suddenly 100 people uploading at 1000mbit/s each :wink:

My cable company caps me at 25GB uploads per month.

Use promo code “STINGYREFERER” to get $1 off a year of Dreamhost!