Question about new "Happy Hosting" plan

I like the idea that you now have a single hosting plan, but how does that affect current users? For example, I’ve been using the Code Monster plan for a couple years now, and I recently renewed two years pre-paid (both for the discount and to show my satisfaction with the service.) This plan is $19.95 per month, and is discounted with the pre-payment.

So, my questions are:

If I change to the new plan, what do I gain and what do I lose over the Code Monster plan?

If I change and it costs less overall, what will happen to my account balance?

I’m very excited about your streamlining things, but I’m just s bit confused with the details.

Thanks!

-Jim Barr
http://JimsTips.com

When you change there is a confirmation, what does it says ?

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

I’ll quote a quick-and-dirty analysis I did in another thread:

[quote]If you’re on a Level 3 plan for the extra disk and/or bandwidth, again I think it’s a no-brainer to switch to the new plans.

If you’re on a Level 3 plan for the callbacks, it depends on how much you want to prepay:
monthly: old plan is $1 cheaper
1 year: new plan is $1 cheaper, you get extra disk and bandwidth
2 year: new plan is $3 cheaper, you get extra disk and bandwidth[/quote]
When you change your plan, it applies all the “leftover” prepaid funds from your old plan to your new plan. If you’ve just renewed, you’ll probably have lots of leftover funds!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thanks for the info!

I just converted from my 2-year Code Monster plan to the new plan for 3 years, and ended up with about a $73.00 credit balance on my account which I’ll just use to cover some upcoming domain renewals in '08.

So let me see here…the change resulted in some very inconsequential disk and bandwidth changes, I lost the support callback feature which I never used, I extended my account for an extra year and I have a credit balance. Wow, what a great company!

-Jim Barr

Along the same lines the recent newsletter said in part ~

“And you’ll also find out about our new “one true plan,” and that we doubled everybody’s bandwidth and will be eventually rolling out a doubling of everybody’s disk as well!”

My question is regarding the “and we doubled everybody’s bandwidth” part.

Does anyone know if that means what we currently see under the “Bandwidth Usage” area labeled “Total bandwidth provided” is going to double now (or soon)? Or is this referring to something else? Because I don’t believe mine has changed at all and bandwidth usage is something we are concerned with.

Thank you!

I don’t know if DH is still rolling out this “update”, but I know I received mine fairly recently (recently as in about a week or so ago).

Image of Increased Bandwidth
As you can see, I barely use any of mine, heh.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

What hosting plan are you under?

My bandwidth has been doubled. I’m on the Crazy Domain Insane plan. It doubled to 4GB plus the amount for the weekly increase.

I’m not sure whether the amount due to the weekly increase doubled or just the amount from when I signed up for the plan.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

My BW just got doubled to over 10TB. I’m an exisiting L3 customer. I wonder what would happen to the BW (and future disk space when that gets doubled) if I convert to the new plan? Would I be reset back to 500GB / 5TB?

Also, what happen when it comes time to renew? Will it just automaticaly charge my credit card as if there was no new plan out there? (For 2 years at the ‘old’ rate)

The impression I get from looking around my billing page of the Panel is that you’ll be able to renew at your current L3 plan just fine. The new plan would seem to only affect you if you intentionally switch to it.

Looking at the new one-size-fits-most Happy Hosting plan, it does seem to be in my best interests, financially, to switch from my old Code Monster plan. The difference in two years prepayment is about $170! Even switching to monthly payments with the Happy Hosting plan would be cheaper than my current prepaid Code Monster plan!

However, my concern is this; when I signed up, I remember reading something about the price being locked in – if you sign up, you’ll pay the same price forever unless you make a change to your plan. That was important for me. That told me I could count on an every-two-year bill of $382.80.

If I switch to Happy Hosting, my payments will be lower, but I’m not seeing anything anywhere about the prices being locked in. If I switch for lower payments now, will I have to suffer price increases later? Anyone see anything about this yet?

I’ve confirmed with support that old plans will continue to autorenew at your original rate if you take no action.

[quote]However, my concern is this; when I signed up, I remember reading something about the price being locked in – if you sign up, you’ll pay the same price forever unless you make a change to your plan. That was important for me. That told me I could count on an every-two-year bill of $382.80.

If I switch to Happy Hosting, my payments will be lower, but I’m not seeing anything anywhere about the prices being locked in. If I switch for lower payments now, will I have to suffer price increases later? Anyone see anything about this yet?[/quote]
I haven’t read anything about this yet. I haven’t seen the second page of the signup form. It would greatly surprise me if they didn’t grandfather people into their original plans - especially with their auto-renewal policy.

That’s what I expect would happen if I don’t opt for the new plan – I’d continue in my current plan, paying my current price, until I decide to change it.

But if I do decide to switch to the new plan – which, financially, makes a lot of sense to do – I’m just curious whether the same guarantee is applied concerning any possible future price hikes.

In other words, if I switch to the new plan today at, say, $10.95/mo, what happens if next year they raise that price to $12.95/mo? Would I still be paying $10.95 or would the price hike affect me?

I was actually referring to that. I haven’t read any guarantee either, but I haven’t been to “page 2” of the new signup sheet. Then again, I don’t remember the original guarantee either.

What I am saying is that I’d expect them to have the same renewal policy that they’ve always had. Can you find the page where this was stated in the wayback machine?

Unfortunately, the WayBack Machine is blocked a a Proxy/Anonymizer on my network.

You’re probably correct about things renewing as they normally do. My experience with Dreamhost thus far is that they’re far more likely to give you stuff rather than take stuff away!

Those are good questions. As a practical matter, though, I don’t know how relevant it is likely to be.

Sure, I’m guaranteed the price I signed up for with my first “Code Warrior” plan back in 1998 - but prices have gone nothing but down, at DreamHost as well as the industry in general, over the past nine years. I suppose they could go up next year, but that is only likely to happen with things like ADSL, or cable, or any MS product (as monopolies solidify their crushing grip on my balls, and the competition is thinned) than it is with a highly competitive market like web hosting.

In my case, having been through three (yep, 3!) “plan reconfigurations” with DreamHost, it’s really complicated whether I should change or not - my current “grandfathered Code Warrior/Code Monster” hybrid plan" has some features that I would have to pay extra for with the new plan, and the money works out to within a few dollars of being the same, for the same services, either way…

It makes my brain hurt, but it’s a “nice” problem to have! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Just curious which features you would lose? I know the monthly callback support is one of the most talked about; is there more?

In my case there is, but I’m a little hesitant to go into all the detail of that. I don’t want to start a discussion about “who got what, and when, and for how many cookies” because my plan has “evolved” to be a bit of a “hybrid” as a result of multiple reconfigurations.

I expect that exactly what might be involved will vary from user to user depending upon when they signed up, what plan they initially signed up for, and what plan changes/addons they may have added over the years.

Things like VPN users, unique IP addresses, secure servers are likely to be involved, as these features have come (and gone - but mostly come) with various plans over the years and at various times. I’m not trying to be evasive, I just don’t feel the “particulars” of my “hybrid” plan are relevant. :wink:

I’m only basing what I would “lose” if I changed plans on what my panel shows as my feature set, and yours is likely to vary somewhat from mine. My price also varies, because it is presently based on the old “Code Warrior” plan, minus a “reseller’s discount” from a now-defunct reseller program that was in place years ago. This places it at more than the latest “Code Monster” price, but lower than the old “Code Warrior” price, but with slightly different features than either of those plans.

Now, if I add up all the “addons” (or what would become addons under the new plan), I will end up paying “very close” to what I currently pay to retain the same features - hence the difficulty in deciding whether or not I want to lose some of the features, and save an almost insignificant amount of money, or keep the features and continue to pay my current price.

I will say this though: I can’t imagine you ending up losing value with DreamHost. They have been very careful in every instance I have dealt with them to “fudge”, if at all, in my favor and reward me for the longevity of our business relationship. They value their customers, and have always demonstrated that to me.

–rlparker

I had the Code Monster plan, and from what I can tell, the disk space has slightly changed as has the bandwidth, but it really doesn’t affect me because I’m using just a VERY SMALL fraction of both. I also lost the 3 phone support callbacks per month, but I honestly don’t think I ever used it. Other than that, there may be some subtle changes, but I can’t find them.

My current stats are:
620.31 GB Disk (Grows 2 GB / week)
7.22 TB BW per Cycle (Grows 40 GB / week)

And again, I only use a very small fraction of both.

-Jim Barr

[quote]My current stats are:
620.31 GB Disk (Grows 2 GB / week)
7.22 TB BW per Cycle (Grows 40 GB / week)[/quote]
So it preserved your “extra” disk and bandwidth from the previous weekly growth from your old plan?