Question about moving to Dreamhost

Hi, I’m interested in moving my current domain and hosting to Dreamhost. However, I have about 34GB of files on my server (with my current hosting)… I also have subdomains, like http://www.subdomain.domain.net

My question is, if I move to Dreamhost, how would I move 34GB of files onto Dreamhost servers? And subdomains wouldn’t change either, right?

Thank you…

Hum… you can’t do a cpanel copying, because DreamHost uses it’s own control panel. I really don’t know if they will transfer it, including subdomains.

In the past I always did it manually… but 34 Gb’s…

Check their wiki:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Main_Page

If you can’t find a definitive answer, send them an email!

DreamHost $97 discount - code: 97promo «« Check other codes on my site

You may have to create subdomains manually.

However, to move data, you can use wget or ftp command in shell.

You have a shell ssh access with DH, so, you can move data between servers without have to download/upload them with your computer (and probably “slow” internet connexion).

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

There are a few ways to transfer files, but the obvious choices didn’t work for me. First I thought about using server-to-server transfer with my ftp client, but could never get it to work for some reason. Downloading locally, then uploading to the new host was not realistic, because my outbound throughput from home is about 45KB/s.

I decided to write a PHP file that gets placed on the destination server. I configure the variables to point to my source/destination files and let it rip. Just moved a 700MB file in 80 seconds. I estimate it would have taken more than 4 hours to upload from home.

Here is the script output: Executed move in 80.299180030823 seconds

You just need to put your files into a bunch of reasonably sized archive files (zip or tar). If you try to do too much at once, the request will time out and the transfer will die. You can modify this to do some sort of looping or whatever, that’s all on you.

Why are you changing hosts? In the event all of those files caused some sort of problem with the TOS on your old host, you must make sure you aren’t violating any terms with Dreamhost. They have similar restrictions to most other hosts. If it’s just because you think you might like the service here…you will!

makes fart noises at CPanel

[code]<?php
$time_start = microtime(true);
$ftp_server = ‘ftp.oldserver.com’;
$ftp_user_name = ‘ftpuser’;
$ftp_user_pass = ‘ftppass’;
$server_file = ‘/path_to_file_location_on_ftp_server/zipped_archive.tar’;
$local_file = ‘/home/username/your_domain_folder.com/some_directory/zipped_archive.tar’;

$conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server);
$login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass);

if ((!$conn_id) || (!$login_result)) {
echo “FTP connection has failed.
\n”;
echo “Attempted to connect to $ftp_server for user $ftp_user_name.
\n”;
exit;
} else {
echo “Connected to $ftp_server.
\n”;
}

//DOWNLOAD
$download = ftp_get($conn_id, $local_file, $server_file, FTP_BINARY);
if ($download) {
echo “Successfully written to $local_file\n”;
} else {
echo “There was a problem\n”;
}

ftp_close($conn_id);
$time_end1 = microtime(true);
$exectime1 = $time_end1 - $time_start;
echo “Executed move in $exectime1 seconds\n
”;
?>
[/code]http://benconley.net
http://teamshocker.com

For a transfer this large, I would definitely be using wget.

DreamHost handles sub-domains differently to many hosts and you should be aware of the differences before doing the transfer.

Here on DreamHost sub-domains are treated the same as full domains and have their own web accessible directory within your home directory. This is different to many hosts, where sub-domains are contained within a sub-directory of the parent domains web accessible directory.

You will need to create the required sub-domains through the panel and transfer the contents one-by-one from your old host.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )